- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Best Vegan, Gluten-Free, No-Sugar-Added Mug Brownie
The Perfect Recipe
I love microwave cooking, and I love brownies. Naturally, when I first heard about mug brownies, I freaked out because I was so excited. Unfortunately, my excitement didn't last--most of recipes out there just aren't very good! Accordingly, I've been keeping my eye out for a truly excellent mug brownie recipe. Recently, I came across this recipe from Food.com. I thought, "Hmm, this has potential. I hope it'll still be good if I amend it to match my diet!" I made a few substitutions, adjusted the amounts a little--and the result was AMAZING. That's why I'm sharing my custom recipe with you!
This healthy version of a favorite dessert is better for you than most protein bars, and it sure as hell tastes better, too. Also, both the original recipe and mine are very substitution-friendly: if you don't have a certain ingredient on hand or need to change something for whatever reason, it's no big deal.
Without further ado. . .
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk (or water)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 4 tablespoons almond flour (or almond meal)
Mixing Things Up
Easy Peasy Instructions
- Melt the coconut oil in a regular coffee mug, by microwaving it for roughly 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk, vanilla, and salt to the mug. Whisk well. (I used an espresso whisk, but a fork would work just fine.)
- Whisk in the cocoa powder.
- Whisk in the agave syrup.
- Whisk in the almond flour.
- Microwave in 1 minute intervals, checking for firmness in between. Cooking time will depend on the strength of your microwave, but should be 1-3 minutes. My microwave is slightly less potent than most, and 3 minutes is just about right.