Marinated Carrot Tapas: best way to eat carrots that is actually tasty!
This Marinated Carrot Tapas is such an amazing dish and yet, simple and healthy. Let's start with saying that I used to hate carrots... well not really hate, but I didn't enjoy them very much, every time I wanted to eat them I had to really find ways to mix them up with other stuff in order to hide the taste. What happened then? I have recently been on Holidays in Algarve, Portugal, and one night for dinner we ordered the mixed platter of starters. When I saw the watress coming up to us with a bowl full of carrots, together with some other tapas, I thought she was kidding me. Anyway everything looked really good so I decided to give it a shot. Well, there is no need to say that I couldn't believe what I was tasting! It was so good that we actually ordered more. We also asked for the recipe before leaving so I am sharing this with you:
Marinated Carrot Tapas
- 1 Kg Carrots
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- Salt, to taste
- Peel the carrots and cut them in thin slices.
- Boile your sliced carrots in hot water and salt for 10 minutes. They have to be soft but not mushy.
- Cut 2 cloves of garlic in tiny pieces.
- Drain your carrots, transfer them in a bowl and add 4 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp white wine vinegar, the minced garlic and salt (if needed) while they are still hot and stirr.
- When the carrots are cold, transfer the bowl in the fridge and leave it at least for a couple of hours to absorb the taste.
This recipe is so easy and yet so tasty! You can increase or decrese the amount of garlic and vinegar to your personal taste, I thought this combination works well for me. The most important step is for the carrots to rest in the fridge so that they can absorb all the flavour and be served later. Take out of the fridge fifteen minutes before serving, you can serve them with toasted bread, together with olives, cheese cubes, sliced chorizo and all sort of other tapas. A very popular tapas to serve them with is Frittata cubes, have a look at this Spicy Potato and Pepper Frittatas Recipe. And let's not forget the most important thing: this dish is super healthy, vegetarian and vegan! How about organizing a healthy, vegan/vegetarian tapas party for your friends? After all, food doesn't need to be unhealthy in order to be tasty, you will be sure of this as soon as you try this dish.