Sweet and Delicious Zucchini Cake Recipe
Like it? Rate it!
Zucchini [Courgettes to the English] are a wonderfully versatile vegetable. Mild-flavored and pleasant, they can be used in everything from savory soups and stir fries, to desserts.
This moist, sweet zucchini loaf is the perfect breakfast food, or for a light snack. I like to bake it every time I have extra zucchini [which is often, in the summertime].
It is an easy vegetable to grow, simple to cook, low in calories, and an excellent natural source of Vitamin A.
- 3 cups zucchini, grated
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup nuts, chopped [optional]
- Grate 3 cups of zucchini. Place in a large bowl. Add oil, sugar, and eggs.
- In a second bowl, mix together the salt, baking powder, flour, and [if desired] nuts.
- Combine the two mixtures and stir until smooth.
- Grease a large bread tin, and pour the mix in. Cook in a 300F oven for about an hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, slice and serve.
Grate 3 cups worth of zucchini into a large bowl - I like to use the large side of the grater for this. Add 3/4 cup oil, 1 1/3 cups sugar, and 4 eggs. Stir it all together.
In a second bowl, sift together 1 teaspoon salt, 3 teaspoons baking powder, 2 cups flour, and [if desired] add 1 cup chopped nuts. Walnuts and pecans both work well [I didn't have any on hand when I put this recipe together, but it's tasty without them too!]
Combine the two mixtures, stirring until there are no lumps of dry flour left, and the batter seems smooth. Be sure to remember to scrape the sides of the bowl!
Pour into a large greased loaf tin, and place in a preheated 300F oven. Bake for around an hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. The top should be a deep golden brown, and split open to reveal a glimpse of the green zucchini bread center within.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a while. Slice and enjoy!