- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
A Filipino favorite delicacy
Christmas is probably the biggest celebration of the year in the Philippines. There are many things to be excited for during the holiday season - including delicious food! For Filipinos, Christmas is time for bibingka and puto bumbong. No Filipino family celebrates Christmas without these special delicacies. They are closely associated with Misa de Gallo. After the dawn mass, vendors line up the streets selling these Filipino-favorite foods. In this hub, I will share how to make bibingka.
Bibingka is traditionally made using galapong (glutinous rice dough). Making galapong is extremely time-consuming. Soaking the rice takes 8 hours and letting the dough stand takes another 12 hours. Bibingka is also cooked using a special clay pot oven. The clay pot is placed on top of the oven where charcoals are lit. Then another pot also containing lit charcoals is placed on top of the clay pot to evenly cook the mixture.
This bibingka recipe offers an alternative way of preparing and cooking the bibingka. Since most of us do not have special clay pot ovens, we will use ordinary cake pans and the kitchen oven. Also, to save time, we will use rice flour instead of galapong. Make sure that you use ordinary rice flour, not glutinous rice flour.
1 cup rice flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup coconut milk
¼ cup fresh milk
½ cup grated cheese
3 raw eggs
2 salted eggs
3 tablespoons butter
Bibingka Cooking Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the baking pan and line it with banana leaf or wax paper.
2. Mix rice flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Beat the eggs and add sugar gradually. Whisk well with every addition.
4. Add the rice flour, baking powder and salt mixture. Continue mixing.
5. Pour in coconut and fresh milk and continue mixing for 2 minutes.
6. Pour the mixture on the lined pan.
7. Bake for 10 minutes then remove from oven.
8. Put sliced salted eggs and grated cheese on top.
9. Put back in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
10. Brush with butter and put grated coconut on top.