- Food and Cooking
Biscuit and Chocolate Gravy Recipe
Tell Me What You Think!!
It's Breakfast Time!
I always like to think back about my childhood and remember those mornings when my mom would tell us she is making homemade biscuits and homemade chocolate gravy. I was too young to remember the first time that I had this wonderful meal. My mother made biscuits almost every morning while I lived at home. She could make biscuits faster than anyone else that I know. She doesn't have to measure anything. She just knows what looks right to her as far as how much she needs of each ingredient. Moms are amazing when you remember back to those amazing meals that I remember eating while living at home. This is a very special meal for my family, and now with us kids gone from home, we have it during the holidays when return to mom and dad's home.
To this day though, I am like a kid again at the mention of this flavorful chocolate gravy. You might have reservations about this dish, not knowing what to expect. Because the recipe calls for cocoa, instead of a sweeter chocolate, the gravy is not too sweet as would be if you used a milk chocolate. Plus, it would be too sweet to use milk chocolate. It is the perfect amount of sweetness without being too sweet. Here in the south, we serve this gravy with a buttered biscuit. I think that this helps cut down on some of that sweet flavor. It is so awesome to get those warm biscuits out of the oven and slather them with butter and let it melt for just a few minutes and then drape it with the chocolate gravy. It's lip smacking good!!
Then there's the homemade biscuits. In this hub, I have included a recipe for biscuits as well because, you MUST have biscuits with this gravy. Picture homemade biscuits in the oven and my mom showing me how to make the gravy. She would let me stir the gravy and remind me to keep stirring. If you are not using a non-stick pan, this gravy does tend to stick to the pan.
I just hope that you will give this recipe for chocolate gravy a chance and at least try it before you say that you don't like it. I hope that you will leave me your feedback and tell me what you think. I have found that it's very important to follow the instructions and do the steps in order. The last two ingredients that are added are butter and vanilla. The order in which this gravy is made, has everything to do with how well the gravy turns out. I only know from experience. The gravy does turn out alright if you add the butter earlier rather than the end but, the taste seems to be better if the butter is added at the end along with the vanilla.
Kitchen time with mom was always a big part of my life growing up. my mom was fortunate enough to be able to stay at home with us while we were young and growing up. She always had us in the kitchen helping her cook. There are several pictures of us cooking. Then I had "my kitchen," that was a complete miniature replica of a kitchen sink, stove and refrigerator. Complete with pots and pans and a few little groceries.
Please tell me about your experience with biscuits with chocolate gravy or any similar recipe in the comments box located at the bottom of this page.
Have You Ever Had It?
Have you ever had chocolate gravy?
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons self rising flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ***For The Biscuits***
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
This May Surprise You!!
- ***Gravy*** First you want to blend flour, sugar and cocoa in a bowl. This will make your recipe cook better if you blend the sugar and cocoa together slowly and then add the milk and stir until the mixture is blended well. This will allow everything to heat up together and melt to make good, thick, gravy. Boil this mixture until thickened. Remove from the heat and add the butter and vanilla. Be sure to add the butter after removing from the gravy from the heat. Stir the butter in the gravy to blend the flavors and allow the butter to melt. At this time, add the vanilla flavoring. This will make the recipe thicken up and the vanilla adds a flavor that can't be left out. The vanilla just gives the gravy that extra unique flavor. The only way that I eat this gravy, is to eat the gravy with a warm buttered biscuit.
- ***Biscuits*** Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the shortening into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form. Add the buttermilk tossing with a fork until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gather into a disk. Knead lightly a few time just until smooth. Pat the dough to 3/4" thick. Using a cutter or a glass dipped in flour, cut out biscuits. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake the biscuits until golden 12-15 minutes.
An Extra Tip
There's just one thing that I would like to stress in this recipe that it is best if you add the butter right as you are removing the gravy from the heat. Then add the vanilla flavoring at the very last minute. Keep stirring the gravy. This will give the gravy the best flavor possible.
Chocolate Gravy Recipe
- Easy Snickers Cheesecake Recipe
This cheesecake is not for the faint at heart. It is a very rich decadent dessert. If you are looking to impress your friends by making cheesecake, then this one is a good one to try it out on. The prep time may take a little bit longer but, it is we
- Easy Fajita Nachos
This recipe hub describes how to make easy fajita nachos. There are multiple variations on how to make this dish. You tube videos, pictures, a poll, a quiz, commentary, ratings capsule and a few hints along the way provide easy to follow instructions
- Easy Feta Chicken Bake
This Feta Chicken is really a light meal that you could serve to your girlfriends in the summertime. This chicken will be so tender, you can cut it with a fork. The feta cheese adds a nice sharpness to the chicken. I do hope that you will try this gr
- Easy Sausage Cheese Tarts
This simple recipe hub shows how to make bite sized sausage tarts. These are quick to mix up and if you have a tart pan that is perfect for this recipe. In this hub you will find, pictures, ratings capsule, a poll, a quiz, commentary are included in
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Recipe
I hate to repeat myself but, this quick and easy to make chicken casserole can be mixed up rather quickly and then the key is to let the casserole flavors blend.
© 2013 Buster Johnson