- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Black Bean Brownies
Black Bean Brownies
They contain magnesium which improves blood flow & therefore oxygen & nutrients throughout your body. Black beans are also a great source of fiber, help lower cholesterol, and provide energy without spiking blood sugar. Using black beans instead of flour is just so OBVIOUSLY much much better for you!!
The best (healthiest) way to cook black beans is to use dry ones. Put them in a large pot. For every cup of beans, use 4 cups of water and cover the beans with water. Cover and soak them overnight or for about 8 hours. Then drain the water, add 3 cups of fresh water, reduce the heat to low and simmer for about another hour or until they are soft.
Bananas are like antacids and protect your stomach from ulcers! They also contain potassium which is an important electrolyte that helps regulate fluid balance and heart function. They are complex carbohydrates which is essential fuel for your body and brain.
Apples contain antioxidants and two types of fiber. The fiber in apples removes the "bad" cholesterol and also lowers the amount produced in your liver. They are great to add to your diet to reduce cholesterol!!
LOCAL honey can help reduce the effects of allergies. And, it NEVER spoils!
- 2 cups dry (see above) or canned black beans, soaked if dry, or drained & rinsed if canned
- 1 medium banana
- 1/2 cup UNSWEETENED applesauce
- 1/4-1/2 cup honey, Depends on how sweet you want them
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg, (you can leave this out if allergic or preferred)
- handful chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8 x 8 baking pan.
- Place all ingredients in food processor (or blender if you don't have a food processor) and blend until smooth.
- Pour into baking pan and bake for 30 minutes. (You can add a few chocolate chips on top if you must!)
- Allow to cool for a few minutes and cut into brownies! For an extra treat, add a little whipped cream on top :)