- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Black Bean Curry | Easy Vegetarian Food
I came up with this vegetarian recipe one night and it turned out amazingly well, so much so that i make it almost weekly now. It's not a traditional curry by any means since it's essentially just curried black beans, but it tastes great and is quick and easy to make. You can find RoTel tomatoes and green chilis in almost any grocery store (in the US at least) but if you cannot find it substitute a small can of diced tomatoes and add 1 chopped and seeded serrano or jalepeno pepper. I'm not in any way affiliated with RoTel, just a big fan.
- 2 Cans Black Beans, (1 can drained of its liquid)
- 1 Can Ro-Tel Brand Tomatoes and Green Chilis
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Ginger, grated
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Salt, or more to taste
- 1 TBSP Cilantro, chopped
- 1 or 2 TBSP Butter, (substitute olive or vegetable oil to make this vegan)
- 1 - 2 Cups Basmati Rice
- In a pot or rice cooker start the basmati rice and cook according to the package instructions. It should be done at about the same time the curried black beans are ready.
- In a large pot, melt the butter (or heat oil if substituting) over medium high heat and add the chopped onion. Saute until the onion is golden brown and beginning to caramelize well, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, stir for 15-30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add both cans of black beans, the can of Rotel, the Garam Masala, and the salt.
- Simmer the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally until reduced and the liquid is nice and thick, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add chopped cilantro to finish, stir and serve over basmati rice.