Black Bean Veggie Burgers
- 1 (16 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1 TBS cumin
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce (Franks is good)
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken or veggie broth or water
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Place in small sauce pan: chicken broth and quinoa. Bring to boil, cover and turn heat down to medium low for about 10- 15 min or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
Stir bell pepper, onion, spinach, cilantro and garlic into mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together eggs, chili powder, cumin, worcestershire and hot sauce.
Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in quinoa and oats until the mixture is sticky and holds together.
- Divide mixture into four patties.
If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
If you have time to freeze them first, they will hold together better! Or at least place them in the freezer for a bit before grilling.