- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Black Forest Pudding Spoon Cake - Black Forest Chocolate Trifle
A new 'best' recipe
I 'lucked' into this recipe several years ago at a family reunion dinner. Everyone was tasked with bringing a dish - mine was mashed potatoes - enough to feed a family of twelve. We had a feast - turkey, stuffing, three different vegetables, potatoes, gravy, all types of pickles and sauces, and dessert.
No one, except the family member who brought it, knew what the dessert was. Everyone was surprised to see her carrying a long rectangular glass lasagna pan filled to the brim with what appeared to be whipped cream to the table.
On closer inspection, we could see different layers - dark chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, more chocolate cake and cherries, topped with a thick layer of whipped cream. I had never seen anything quite like it.
We could hardly wait. A knife was produced and our sister-in-law laughed. Placing the dessert on the table, she held up a large serving spoon and started ladling pudding cake into bowls.
One spoonful and I was hooked. For years the only cake that I made was Black Forest Pudding Spoon Cake. It was easy to make, easy to assemble and everyone loved it.
Granny at her best
I use my Granny's Famous Chocolate Cake recipe for this cake. You can also use a mix - I would recommend Duncan Hines as it tastes 'almost' as good as granny's.
However, for those of you who have not read my granny's recipe, I will include it here.
- CAKE INGREDIENTS
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup suger
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cocoa, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups self rising flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon or vanilla
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 1 large pkg chocolate pudding mix, (serves 6)
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1-2 can(s) cherry pie filling
- 2 cups whipping cream, sugar to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and grease and flour one 11 inch cake pan To prepare cake:
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and cocoa and beat well.
- Stir in the dissolved baking soda and milk. Add the flour and lemon flavoring, beating lightly with a fork.
- Add boiling water and mix until well blended. Place mixture into rectangular cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely.
- TO ASSEMBLE CAKE: Following cooking or mixing instructions for making chocolate pudding using 3 cups cold milk. (Cool pudding if necessary.)
- Using electric hand mixer, whip cream to stiff peaks, sugar to taste.
- Crumble 1/2 of cooled cake into large rectangular lasagna pan. (You can also use individual glasses, or large glass flat bottomed bowl.)
- Top with chocolate pudding and press down gently. Crumble the other 1/2 of cooled chocolate cake and press down.
- Add cherry pie filling, spreading evenly. Top with whipped cream and chill. Spoon into bowls and enjoy!
Make adjustments as necessary
I have played with this recipe many times. You can use the same principal with chocolate and caramel, white cake and strawberry filling - the variations are endless. I have used pudding made from scratch, and pudding made from a mix - both cook and instant. The only difference that I noticed was the instant pudding tends to be more difficult to blend.
You can also use two tins of cherry pie filling. If you choose this option, layer the cherries on top of the first level of crumbled cake, then add the pudding. I have on occasion, not been able to find the larger package of pudding mix, so have used two small packages (that make four servings.) There is no difference in taste, and I find the cake very moist and delicious.
However you choose to make your Black Forest Pudding Spoon Cake, I'm positive that you will enjoy it as much as me and my family! Bon Appetit..