Black Rice Payasam Recipe
Rate Black Rice Payasam Recipe
Manipuri Black Rice
One of my friends from Manipur presented me some Black Rice which she brought from home. She said it is very tasty and the black rice gives out a beautiful smell when cooked. She further explained that black rice has medicinal property. It is usually given to mothers after delivery in Manipur because of its medicinal properties.
The packet she gave me contained broken rice with black bran. I was curious to know more about this rice and searched the internet. It is given in many sites that black rice is a rare variety. It is also called “purple rice” or “forbidden rice”. I understood why it is called purple rice because as I was washing the rice I could see the water becoming purple. When I was cooking payasam, the milk turned purple as soon as put the rice in. I learnt from some of the articles that the purple color is due to the presence of anthocyanin an antioxidant. But I have no idea why it is called forbidden rice.
Another website reports that black rice is available in the supermarkets of US such as “Whole Foods” and "Barry Farm Foods" . it is slowly gaining more and more popularity in the households and restaurants of the country. The article also says that the purple and reddish pigments of black rice is linked to a decreased risk of heart disease, and cancer.
So I have decided to make payasam (payesh) out of this delicious variety of rice.
Black Rice Payasam
Boiling the Milk to reduce it
Wash cashew nuts and Raisins
Wash the Black Rice and add Butter
Mix Butter and Black Rice
Put Black Rice into the boiling milk- Milk turns purple
Keep Boiling the milk till the black rice is cooked
Once the Black Rice is cooked, add sugar, cashew nuts and raisins
- 100 g Black Rice
- 1.5 litres Milk, Simmer and reduce the quantity to a thick consistency
- 3 small cups Sugar, Adjust the quantity according to your preference
- 2 pieces cardamom
- 2 pieces Dried bay leaves
- Few in numbers Cashew nuts
- Few in numbers Raisins
- Keep the milk for boiling adding bay leaves and cardamom. Simmer it slowly till it becomes thicker
- Wash the rice and drain. Wash the cashew nuts and raisins and drain
- Add little bit of butter or ghee to the rice and mix
- Add rice to the boiling milk and continue to boil till it gets cooked. Keep stirring in between.
- Once the rice is cooked add sugar and cashew nuts and raisins
- As an alternative, cashew nuts and raisins can be fried in butter and added
Even though the preparation time was very less, the time taken to concentrate the milk was long. The rice cooked in the milk is tastier than cooked in water.
It is good to refrigerate and eat when it is cold.
Try this recipe if you can find some black rice.
Other Recipe Hubs by thumbi7
- Evening Snacks Recipe Indian: Prawns Fry
The amount of saturated fat contained in 100 g of prawns is only 0.2g. Prawns are also a good source of vitamin E and omega -3 fatty acid.
- Evening Snack Recipe Indian; Phulka Roti
Phulka Roti is an easy to make item for evening snacks. Properly done done rotis are soft and can be served with veg or non-veg side dishes.Phulka Roti can also be used as a breakfast item. Served along with daal or chicken and some fruits and fresh
- How to Use Coriander Root?- the Magician in Kitchen
Coriander root recipes are not very common in southern India. many people don't know how to use coriander root. This recipe tells about the modification of a common daal preparation using coriander roots.