The BlueBerry Flax Breakfast Sandwich
Blueberry Flax Banana Sandwich
A Different Kind of Breakfast Sandwich
Are you looking for something different for breakfast? Try this. This just may be the healthiest breakfast sandwich you ever saw. Made from two superfoods, the blueberry flax sandwich is a nutrient powerhouse.
At 424 calories, this is a complete meal. The healthy ingredients are a power boost and it contains 15 grams of fibre. This sandwich is easy to make: almost as quick as throwing some cereal in a bowl.
What are superfoods?
Superfoods are foods with an extremely high concentration of nutrients considered very good for your well-being and health. Although there are different lists of these foods, some common items considered to be superfoods are beans, broccoli, salmon and flaxseed. See also the World's Healthiest 128 Foods.
How I Discovered This Recipe
I discovered the recipe one morning when I had run out of ingredients for my regular breakfast, a BlueBerry Hemp Smoothie. What else could I make, I wondered, that would incorporate blueberries into something delicious. And so was born this Blueberry Flax Banana Sandwich.
The first thing I did was blend together three very healthy ingredients: flaxseed, blueberries and yogurt. I experimented to find a good consistency that would come out with a peanut butter-like thickness. The result was the recipe below. I then spread it on my toast, and added a sliced banana on top. I was quite pleased with the result.
|Serving size: 2 open-faced sandwiches|
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Carbohydrates 82 g||27%|
|Fiber 15 g||60%|
|Protein 11 g||22%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 1/4 cup Frozen Blueberries
- 2 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal
- 2 Tbsp Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 Medium-Sized Banana
- 2 pieces Whole Wheat Bread
- Mix yogurt and flaxseed meal together.
- Add mixture to your blender or food processor.
- Add blueberries.
- Mix for 1 minute or so, depending on type of blender/ food processor. (The key is to not overblend, so that it becomes too runny. It should look similar to a peanut butter consistency.) If you need to do so, add more flax or yogurt to get the right texture.
- Scoop mixture out and spread over toast.
- Cut up banana into 1/2 inch pieces and place over the spread.
- Slice bread for easier eating. Enjoy!
Rate This Recipe!
- Instead of whole wheat bread, put the spread on a muffin, English muffin or roll.
- Make a whole batch by multiplying the recipe by the number of people you are serving.
- Try another type of berry such as raspberry or strawberry.
- Experiment with the consistency by adding a bit more flax, yogurt or blueberries, according to your preference.
My Usual Breakfast
My Journey To Health
This recipe comes from my ongoing journey to find food I can make that is both delicious and very nutritious. I love to cook but finding food that fits a calorie budget is a challenge. I feel good, though, because In the last ten months, I have lost 30 pounds.
If you are trying to get healthy, or just maintain the health that you already have, eating nutritious foods is an important component of the process.