- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Recipe: Crispy Blueberry Cornbread
Like it? Rate it!
This is a sweet, crispy cornbread filled with plump, juicy blueberries - a marvellous breakfast or accompaniment to dinner.
Have it hot or cold, with butter, or plain - it's delicious any way you want it.
Every time I make this, the universal reaction is to demand my recipe! So I thought I'd put it up here for all to enjoy.
Try it. You'll love it. I promise.
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
- Mix together 1 cup corn meal, 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Add oil and egg and milk. Stir until smooth. Mix in blueberries.
- Oil a bread tin, pour batter in. Bake at 400F for around 30 minutes, or until top splits open and bread is very golden brown.
Step 1 - Dry Ingredients
Mix together 1 cup corn meal, 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir it well, until all ingredients are fully combined.
Step 2 - Wet Ingredients
Add the oil, then the egg and the milk. Stir until the mixture is very smooth, and there are no lumps left. Mix in the blueberries - fresh or frozen will both work.
Step 3 - Put in Pan
Oil a medium loaf tin, and pour batter into it. Place in a 400F oven to bake for around 30 minutes, or until the top is split open and dark golden brown, and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Confirm that it's done with the knife test. Remove from oven, and slice. It's wonderful spread with butter when it's hot, but the leftovers are delicious cold as well.