- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques»
Blueberry Spice Scones
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup White Flour, ( Can Substitute Half Wheat Flour)
- 2 Cups Rolled Oats
- 3/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 Stick Butter
- 2 Tbsp Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom
- 1/4 Tsp Cloves
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Blueberries
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
Achieving a perfect texture
The most important quality of a good scone is the crumbly texture. There are two key components to achieving this. The first component is starting with very cold butter. Work the butter into the dry ingredients with your fingers as quickly as possible until it resembles sand or bread crumbs and clumps together when squeezed. Place mixing bowl in refrigerator. The second key step is not over-working the dough. Remove mixing bowl from refrigerator and add the egg, oil and cream mixture. Make sure to mix them just enough to wet all ingredients. The dough should be fairly thick and clumpy. At this point you can fold in the flour-dusted blueberries and second half of the rolled oats, then form the scones and place them in the oven.
1. Preheat oven to 325°
2. Place the flour, brown sugar, salt, spices, baking soda and half of the oats into a large mixing bowl and mix well.
3. Cut the cold butter into cubes, then work butter into dry ingredients with finger tips.
4. Dampen blueberries and dust them with flour, set aside.
5. Thoroughly mix the egg, cream and oil together and add add to dry ingredients and mix gently
6. Add blueberries and second half of oats, gently fold them in.
7. Promptly make 10 roughly shaped scones with a large spoon or scoop and place on lightly oiled baking sheet
8. Place scones in preheated oven and cook for 25 minutes
9. Remove scones from oven and allow to cool before removing from baking sheet.