- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Blueberry vanilla cake
- Ingredients for a 12 inch pan:
- 1 sponge cake (Betty Croker mix)
- For Blueberry CREAM:
- 600 grams fresh or frozen blueberries (or other berries)
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar (for blueberry purée)
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar (for whipping cream)
- 2 tbsp ricotta cheese (optional)
- 10 grams gelatin
- For Vanilla CREAM (type Cremsnit):
- 500 ml milk
- 200 grams sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 tbsp corn starch (60 grams)
- 50 grams butter
- 400 ml whipping cream
- 10 grams gelatin
- for Blueberry JELLY (optional) for decoration:
- 300 grams blueberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 5 grams gelatin
- Blueberry Cream:
- Place blueberries in a saucepan with 4 tablespoons sugar and boil until sugar dissolves, no more than that. Then crush them in the blender and then strain the puree through fine sieve to separate the seeds and the remaining skin.
- Hydrate gelatin in cold water about 5 minutes (enough to cover it with two fingers). To completely dissolve gelatin, warm it up in microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Add dissolved gelatin into the blueberry puree and blend, then refrigerate it to cool down. Be careful do not leave it more than 30 minutes, otherwise it hardens.
- Mix the whipping cream on low speed for 1 minute then add the sugar and then mix again at higher speed until stiff.
- Add in 2 tbsp ricotta and blend easily for few seconds.
- Add the mashed blueberries and stir to incorporate.
- Put the sponge cake on a platter and on top of it set a removable ring. The removable ring should cover the sponge cake about three-quarters of the diameter of the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake until the blueberry mousse hardens. To rush the cooling, you can put the cake in the freezer for about 1 hour.
- While the cream is cooled prepare the vanilla cream:
- In a sauce pan put 300 ml milk and 200gr sugar. In a bowl mix the remaining milk, with 3 tbsp corn starch and 3 egg yolks.
- Put the saucepan on low heat and stir occasionally.Add vanilla seeds. When is well heated, pour the milk and corn starch mix into the heated milk and stir well. Stir all the time now until cream is thicken. When is done, remove the sauce pan from the heat and add the butter.
- Let it cool, but cover the surface with a plastic wrap.
- When is cold, whip 500 ml whipping cream and fold it into the custard.
- When the blueberry mousse has hardened completely, carefully remove the detachable ring, wash it, and then put it back around the cake this time. Pour the vanilla cream over blueberry mousse witch was already hardened and level very well.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 5 hours, possibly overnight. Remove the ring carefully and decorate it with fresh blueberries or blueberry jelly and fresh fruit.
- Blueberry jelly:
- I made it from 300 gr blueberries witch I cooked them with 2 tablespoons sugar, then I added 5 grams gelatin dissolved. I poured this jelly over the cake when the surface of the vanilla cream was already harden in the fridge (the cake was still in the removable ring).
- It is particularly refreshing, perfect for summer days!
© 2015 Gabriela Gitoi