- Food and Cooking
Organic Bran Flaxseed Meal Muffins: Bob's Red Mill Amazing Recipe
Rate This Recipe
I love to eat healthy, but also consider myself a purist when it comes to baking. I use the full fat stuff, the good old white flour, and load up on the whatever makes baked goods taste so great. But, one taste of Bob’s Red Mill Organic Flax Seed Mill Bran Flax Muffins, and I became a changed woman. These delicious muffins are chock full of healthy alternatives: Flaxseed Meal, Oat Bran, carrots, apples, and raisins. My kids think they are “special treats” and eat them instead of candy or chocolate.
Flaxseed Health Benefits
With a mild nutty taste, flaxseed is known to help with digestion and lower cholesterol. High in fiber and protein, and low in carbs, flaxseed has been shown to fight heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Because flaxseeds are high in oil content, ground flaxseed makes an excellent substitute for butter or oil in recipes. Grinding the flax seeds actually enhances its nutritional benefits.
Bob's Red Mill Organic Flaxseed Meal
Bob's Red Mill Organic Flaxseed Meal is all natural and organic. The product itself has a great smooth texture and is highly convenient, since Bob grinds it for you! It lasts a long time, especially if kept refrigerated (though it doesn't last that long in our house, with requests for more muffins daily!) Instead of selling off his successful company, Bob made it employee-owned in 2010, sharing the company's success - another reason to buy this product.
Uses for Flaxseed Meal
Flaxseed meal has a very mild taste, so it can be added to most things unnoticed. Sprinkle it anywhere you can think of! Here are some favorite ideas:
- Add to oatmeal
- Add to pizza dough
- Add to cereal
- Add to baked goods
- Add to shakes or smoothies
- Add to homemade bread or bread mix
- Add to yogurt or cottage cheese
- Use instead of breadcrumbs in breading for chicken or in meatloafs
Bran Flaxseed Muffins (Adapted from the Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed Meal bag)
- 1 1/2 cups Unbleached White Flour
- 3/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed Meal
- 3/4 cup Oat Bran
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups Carrots, shredded
- 2 Apples, peeled and shredded (zucchini would work well too!)
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1 cup Nuts, chopped (optional)
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly grease muffin tins or line them with muffin tin liners. Mini muffin tins work well too!
- Mix together flour, Flaxseed Meal, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir in carrots, raisins, apples, and nuts.
- Combine milk, eggs, and vanilla.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Stir until moistened.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minute (less time for mini muffin tin)
Related Food for Kids Hubs
- Kids’ Pancakes With Chia Seed “Sprinkles” and ...
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but too often is lacking in nutrition. This easy homemade pancake recipe add chia seeds, which are packed with nutrients. This article also gives ideas for other healthy additions.
- Getting Your Kids to Eat More Fruits and Vegetables:...
We all know that eating fruits and vegetables has many health benefits. This article provides practical tips for parents on getting kids to eat fruit and vegetables. Having fruits and vegetables readily accessible, have
- How to Convert a Picky Eater: Lessons Learned and Ti...
Many children are picky eaters and parents struggle with how to get them to be more flexible at mealtime. This article describes how one mom conquered picky eating and now cooks one meal for the entire family. While it may seem scary initially, by ma
- Eating Out with Kids: Benefits and Tips (Hubnugget C...
Eating out in restaurants with kids can help your kids try new foods, train them in proper restaurant behavior, and provides a much needed break from the kitchen. This article includes tips for making eating out successful, including picking the righ
- 10-Minute Prep Kid-Friendly Lasagna
Making lasagna can be quick and easy, as well as healthy. This recipe describes how to make a basic lasagna and shows ways to add or substitute healthy ingredients in a way that result in a healthy and delicious meal that will be enjoyed by the whole