- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Bombay Potatoes Recipe.
This is a very simple potato recipe. It is used all over India and is basically a side dish but can be used as main dish too. It is very easy to make and makes any food very tasty. People carry this dish during travelling and eat it with puri and mango pickle. This dish is a side dish to any curry, chicken, lamb or vegetarian. It's also a great way to use leftover cooked boiled potatoes. Very easy and very tasty dish to make.
1. Potatoes : 450 gm/ 1 pound, halved.
2. Ground turmeric: 1 Tsp
3. Ghee / Vegetable oil : 4 Tsp
4. Dried Red Chilli : 1
5. Green chillies: 2 finely chopped.
6. Curry Leaves : 6
7. Nigella seeds / Kalonji : ½ Tsp
8. Mustard seeds : ½ Tsp.
9. Onion Seeds : ½ Tsp
10. Cumin seeds : ½ Tsp
11. Funnel seeds : ½ Tsp
12. Asafoetida : ½ Tsp
13. Onions: 2 finely chopped.
14. Chopped coriander / cilantro : 5 Tsp
15. Juice of ½ lemon
16. Salt to taste.
1. Take a heavy base large pan. Put the potatoes in the pan.
2. Now put cold water in the pan just enough to cover the potatoes.
3. Add a pinch of salt and half tsp of turmeric powder to the water.
4. Bring the water to boil and then simmer the heat and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Now drain the potatoes and keep the water aside.
6. Now in another heavy base pan heat the Ghee and add dried red chilli and curry leaves in the Ghee. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes stirring occasionally till red chilli gets blackish in colour
7. Now to this add remaining turmeric powder , fresh chilli, nigella seeds, mustard seeds and onion seeds.
8. Now add to this cumin seeds, fennel seeds, asafoetida, fresh coriander and onions and cook for 5 to 6 minutes stirring occasionally till the onions soften.
9. Now add the potatoes in this and stir for them to blend in this mixture
10. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
11. Now the potatoes would be softened and ready to serve.
12. Squeeze the lemon on the potatoes and serve hot .
More Hubs from me
- Chicken Do Piaza
Chicken Do Piaza goes back to Mughal era of India. How did this dish got his name no one knows but it is thought that Mulla Do Piaza ( a minister in court of Great emperor Akbar) invented it but this looks like a myth because Mulla Do piaza was not a
- Mushroom Bhajji
My personal favourite in vegetables is mushroom. Mushrooms are not only easy to digest but are very healthy. Here I am going to put one easy recipe of mushroom. Mushroom is easy to get and it got nice colour and texture and makes a very appealing dis
- Chicken Korma
Chicken Korma is a very tasty dish from South of India and since it is from South India so it is full of calories. If you are not watching your weight then you should try this dish. Very tasty and this dish is little dry in consistency as compared to
- Prawns In Coconut Milk
Sea food is though not something we guys from New Delhi are used to but this is very popular in western coastal regions of India especially in state of Maharashtra. Being coastal area Prawn and coconut are in abundant supply there. One of very tasty