- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Central Asian Cuisine
Borani Banjan Recipe (Afghan Eggplant with Tomato, Yogurt and Garlic Sauce)
Borani Banjan Recipe
Borani Banjan is one of the most popular dish from Afghanistan. Like many Afghan dishes, Borani Banjan is mild yet full of flavor. It is made of eggplants, tomatoes, garlic and spices and served with yogurt sauce. Borani Banjan is served as a main dish or a side dish. It is usually served with flat bread but is also delicious with white Basmati rice.
- 2 medium Eggplants
- 2 medium Tomatoes
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper, ground
- Dried Mint, for garnish
- Cayenne Pepper, for garnish (optional)
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- Olive Oil
- Slice eggplants into half inch slices. Salt each side of eggplant slices liberally with salt.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat oil over a medium heat. Fry eggplants until golden brown and still firm in the center. Place the eggplants onto a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- In a separate sauce pan, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat. Add 2 cloves of minced garlic and fry until golden brown. Add chopped tomatoes, paprika, turmeric and salt. Cook until tomato is completely softened (about 5 to 7 minutes).
- Add about 1/4 cup of water. Cover the pan and simmer on low heat for approximately ten minutes.
Yogurt Sauce Instructions
- In a large bowl, mix Greek yogurt, 1 clove of minced garlic, and salt.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve
- Add a thin layer of the yogurt mixture onto a large serving plate. Place the eggplants on top and spread the tomato sauce evenly over the eggplants. Pour another layer of the yogurt mixture. Garnish with dried mint and cayenne pepper. Enjoy!