- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Rice with Pigeon Peas - Arroz con Gandules
Rice with Pigeon Peas (Arroz con Gandules) is a traditional latin favorite dish. It is made for everyday cooking, special occasions and holiday dinners. This was the very first dish I learned to make when I moved out of my parents house. I told my mother that I need to learn how to make Arroz con Gandules before leaving her house. She once told me if I ever married a hispanic man I better know how to make this rice. She was right because I've been in a long term relationship with my boyfriend and he loves this rice so much, it's his favorite. The best thing about knowing how to make this rice is that there are so many ways to make it. You can use other kinds of beans, meat or make plain white rice. This dish is so popular, that I've even made it for a few office parties. It makes me feel great to know that I bring joy to people by making them good food. Cooking is the way to a person heart and soul.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 25 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- Yields: Serves 6-8 people depending on appetite.
- 3 Cups Long or Medium Grain Rice, washed
- 1/4 Cup Oil
- 2 TBLSP Sofrito (Homemade/or Goya, If not use finely chopped about 1/2 cup combined onions, peppers, cilantro
- 2 packets Goya Sazon
- 2 packets Goya Ham flavor
- 1 Can Gandules
- 1/4 TSP Adobo
- 1/4 TSP Oregano
- 1 TBLSP salt (optional)
- 1/4 TSP Cumin (optional)
- 1 Can Tomato Sauce (optional)
- 3 1/2 Cups Water
- Place rice pot over medium heat on the stove then add oil, sofrito, tomato sauce, sazon, ham flavor, oregano, adobo, cumin, and gandules. Let these ingredients cook for 3 mins.
- Add Rice, Water, Salt, turn and bring up the heat on high and let the rice come to a boil. When the rice water is evaporated and dried, turn the rice, cover and place on low heat. Let it cook for 25 min covered.
- TIPS: # 1. DO NOT OPEN COVER UNTIL THE RICE HAS COOKED FOR THE ENTIRE 25 MIN. THIS IS A MISTAKE MANY PEOPLE DO AND THERE RICE DOES NOT FULLY COOK. # 2. FOR EVERYDAY ARROZ CON GANDULES I USE 1 CAN OF GOYA PIGEON PEAS BUT IT IS MUCH BETTER IF YOU USE GOYA FROZEN PIGEON PEAS. IT TASTES MUCH BETTER BUT EITHER WAY IT IS FANTASTIC.