- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Best of Bosnian Food
Bosnian fine Food, make it Shine
Our favorite Bosnian Meal
Every nation has something unique to show to the rest of the world. Every corner of the planet has some special and magical recipes. Here in Bosnia, one of the most popular and really unique one, is Bosnian Pot meal. Need some effort and time, but the end result is one symphony of savory.
Bosnian Pot is a traditional meal, known for centuries. I love to prepare it when I am outdoor. Need some wood for fire, copper pot and goodwill to surprise my wife. I got this recipe from my colleague, who is really an artist for all kind of food. Meet and barbeque are his specialty, but he is also quite well trained for different kinds of pots, broths and other.
There are many variations of this special food, but the main ingredients are always same. You can't make it without at least two kinds of meat, cabbage and potato. The dish is not intended for some special class of people. It's popular among the poor and rich for hundreds of years. Originally it is made in a ceramic pot, but the copper one I own is proven good.
You need patience and care when you work on it. Prepare enough wood, enjoy the nice weather and just from time to time check the pot. Listen to its whispering and try to catch the story. Final result is shiny, happy people, gathered around the table and tasting the history and health.
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 3 hours
- Ready in: 3 hours 30 min
- Yields: Enough for 6 people, or even more.
Set the fire
- 0.75 Kg Beef, Chopped, medium pieces
- 0.75 Kg Lamb, Chopped, medium pieces
- 1 Cabbage, Chopped into quarters
- 0.5 Kg Potatoes, Sliced into halves
- 3 or 4 pieces Tomatoes, Sliced into halves
- 2 or 3pieces Carrots, Not to much cut
- One stipe Parsley
- 2 pieces Garlic, Whole shelled
- 2 pieces Onion, Rougly sliced
- 1 spoon Cooking Oil
- 1 spoon Vinegar
- 2 Peppers
- Black pepercorns
- Peas, Randomly
- Herbs, Optionally
Mixed like Bosnia
How to prepare Bosnian Pot
- The main idea is to make layers in the pot. You combine one layer of vegetable, then one with meat. Personally I put onion first, then layer with beef, than cabbage and so on.
- When you fill the pot to the top (sounds good :)) put the cover on and bring it under the fire you already prepared. Fire should be very weak, only embers with small flickers.
- Cooking is on the very low heat. It is important not to overdrive with the heat, because you don't pour water inside. Meal is cooked in its own juices, so that's why is so tasty and nice. Most of the water comes from cabbage and tomato. If the meet is carefully selected, taste and smell should be wonderful!
- From time to time, every half hour, check the fire and just listen to the pot. If it sings nice whispering song, then everything is fine. If it tries to get up the cover and sings a loud, kill the fire and make it low profile.
- How do you know when it's finished? After two or three hours check the cabbage or potato inside. If it is cooked, the rest of the pot is also more than fine.
- Enjoy your meal!
Strong and healthy Food
|Serving size: 0.5 Kg|
|Calories from Fat||360|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 40 g||62%|
|Saturated fat 30 g||150%|
|Unsaturated fat 20 g|
|Carbohydrates 200 g||67%|
|Sugar 20 g|
|Protein 30 g||60%|
|Cholesterol 85 mg||28%|
|Sodium 550 mg||23%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|