- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Bottle Guard/Calabash cooked in milk.
Bottle Gourd curry
How to choose a bottle gourd/calabash and store it.
- Bottle gourds/calabash are available round the season. Take a close look at its stem, which may offer a valuable hint at whether the produce is fresh or aged.
- Avoid those which are oversize, mature, contain yellow-discoloration, have cuts and bruises on their surface. Tiny spots on the surface, however, would not lessen their quality.
- At home, store them inside the refrigerator set at adequate humidity where they stay fresh for 3-4 days.
How to peel bottle gourd/calabash.
How to cut the bottle gourd/calabash into fine pieces.
Best Combinations that go with bottle gourd/calabash.
- It can be eaten with any kind of flavored rice like ghee rice or jeera rice.
- It also tastes good with plain white rice.
- It can also be eaten with chapathi, any kind of naan or roti.
- It can also be used as a topping for any kind of rice bowl or burritos.
Bottle gourd/calabash curry
- 1 small bottle gourd
- one and a half medium sized onions
- 5 green chilies
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder, optional
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 garlic pod
- 1 teaspoon channa dal
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 red chili
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 spoons canola oil
- The curry should be cooked under medium heat.
- Cover the wok when cooking. Mix the contents in the wok every 3 to 4 minutes. This is to avoid the contents in the wok from sticking to its bottom .
Instructions on how to cook bottle gourd/calabash curry.
- Add about 4 spoons of oil in a wok. After the oil warms up, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds,channa dal, urad dal, finely sliced garlic pods and red chili in quick succession. Wait for the mustard seeds to crackle. this will take about 2 to 3 minutes.
- After the mustard seeds crackle, add finely sliced onions and green chilies in quick succession. Add about 2 teaspoons of salt. Mix thoroughly. Wait until the onions turn transparent. This will take around 8 minutes.
- After the onions turn transparent, add turmeric powder. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the finely sliced bottle gourd pieces. Mix thoroughly. Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes until the bottle gourd slices turn extremely soft and mushy. This is when you will know that the bottle gourd slices are done.
- Add red chili powder. This step is optional. Red chili powder is added if you want to increase the level of spiciness (I added red chili powder, because I like it spicy).
- Add about half a cup of milk. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes.
Step 5 ( This step is optional.)
Health benefits of bottle gourd/calabash.
Bottle gourd/calabash contains14 calories per 100 g. It is one of the vegetables recommended by the dietitians in weight-control programs.
Fresh gourds contain folates. Folate helps reduce the incidence of neural tube defects in newborn babies when taken by expecting mothers during their early months of pregnancy.
Fresh calabash-gourd is a moderate source of vitamin-C which is a powerful natural antioxidants that destroys free radicals one of the reasons for cancer development.
Calabash facilitates easy digestion and bowel movement.Thus, it helps relieving indigestion and constipation problems.
In addition, the vegetable is also a moderate source of thiamin, niacin (vitamin B-3), pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5), pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) and minerals such as calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, manganese and magnesium.