Brain Health Recipe - Smoked Salmon Canapé with Sesame Brittle
This mouthwatering dish utilizes some of the most beneficial foods for both the brain and body!
- 1 ¾ oz smoked wild salmon, cut into small strips
- 1/3 cup fennel, thinly sliced
- 5 whole strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns, crushed (can substitute pink peppercorns)
Salted Sesame Brittle Ingredients
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 1 Tbsp salted butter
- ¾ cup toasted sesame seeds
- Flaky sea salt to taste
Prep and Cooking Directions
- Place salmon, fennel, and strawberries into a bowl.
- Mix together oil and vinegar. Add the crushed peppercorn and remix.
Salted Sesame Brittle
- Prepare baking sheet with greased parchment paper to be used later.
- Bring sugar and honey to a boil, and make sure to stir it consistently until it does - stop stirring when it begins to boil.
- Remove the pot from heat when the mixture becomes golden brown.
- Stir in butter and sesame seeds.
- Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet.
- Put a another greased parchment on top of the mix roll it as thin as possible with a rolling pin.
- Next, remove the parchment and dust it lightly with sea salt.
- Let it cool, then break into fragments.
Again, this dish utilizes some of the most beneficial foods for both your brain and your body, but for the purpose of this article, we will focus on the advantages it provides to the brain:
Salmon = Omega 3 fatty acids/Docosahexaenoic acid
Sesame seeds = Lipophilic antioxidants
Fennel = Antioxidents, Folate, Histidine (Amino Acid)
Strawberries = Antioxidents, Flavonoids
White Wine Vinegar= Histamines
Honey = Free sugar molecules, and aids in the production of melatonin (quality sleep = healthy brain)