Breakfast Cereal Milk Tea
Cereal Teas. What?
As I was sitting one morning drinking my usual Earl Grey with Half and Half, I thought to myself that it was rather much like the milk that you would get from cereal. Having not had cereal in such a long time, it got me craving a nice bowl. However, I was at work - and always work early in the mornings without the ability to enjoy breakfast.
What is Tea?
Tea is leaves, fruit, nuts, etc that are boiled with water in order to get flavors into a delicious drink. Sometimes syrups or milk are added to enhance flavor. Some teas such as milk teas are heavily mixed with milk and syrups and have little tea in them.
Why Earl Grey Tastes Like Cereal
The question comes: why does Earl Grey taste like cereal?
In particular, Earl Grey tastes like fruit loops or fruity pebbles with milk because the tea is mixed with a bergamot orange oil that adds a similar citrus flavor as the cereals have. Fun (but devastating fact) fruit loops have all the same flavor - each color us flavored "froot" and is a mix of citrus and berry flavor.
- 1/4 Cup Cereal, Crushed
- 1 Glass Water, Boiling
- Teaspoon Honey / Sugar, If Needed
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 0 g|
|Sugar 10 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- Start with a cup of cereal - depending on what kind it could be more or less - and put it into a sandwich bag. Get a rolling pin, book, or some other heavy item and gently crush the cereal until it is small, but not powder.
- Get a tea bag and slowly pour the crumbs from the crushing bag to the tea bag to fill it. If you have a stapler, you can staple the tea bag closed. You can also use thread and needle, or tie it off.
- Boil water. While the water is boiling, put the tea bag into the cup, and pour the boiling water over it. Leave room for milk or half and half.
- Add half and half to taste.
Alternate Means of Flavoring Milk Tea
If you do not mind a slight sludge at the bottom, you can crush the cereal more finely into a powder and add it to warm milk or half and half and water.
If you want a stronger flavor, you can use English Breakfast or Earl Grey instead of water in this recipe.
What are some good cereals?
The best cereals are those that crush and would leave some flavor, for a small list:
Fruit Loops/Fruity Pebbles/Trix
Honey Nut Cheerios
Chocolate Cereals for a Hot Chocolate
Cinnamon Toast Crunch