- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Broken Wheat Recipes with difference - A healthy dish known as Upma
Broken wheat upma recipe
About broken wheat
By broken wheat recipes, different people have different perceptions. So, I want to clear the idea before starting my article on this preparation.
For the purpose of this recipe preparation, by broken wheat, I refer to the unrefined large granules of wheat instead of refined granules and all other varieties of small granule or refined particles of wheat.
The more popular brands of daliya, Upmarava / Bombay Rava or Lapsi Rava are not to be equated with this broken wheat. Most of these brands are refined varieties or of small granules. The broken wheat granules that I use for preparing this Upma are of large size, unrefined and brownish / light brownish in colour. Naturally, it contains more fibre in this recipe than other recipes prepared by most of the people in India or at any other places. Very few people will be using or liking this variety of broken wheat and most of them do not know the difference between Daliya, Lapsi Rava and the broken wheat as used by me.
So, one should be more careful when purchasing these broken wheat packages for preparing this recipe if s/he wants to be more health conscious. When you go to the supermarkets, you should ask or look for the large granules broken wheat which is brown in colour instead of small particles or white one, for preparing healthy food.
Broken wheat for healthy upma
What is Upma?
Upma is a breakfast or snacks item mostly popular in Southern India. It is found in almost all the hotels, restaurants, and tiffin centres early in the morning for breakfast or at evenings as tiffin /snacks item.
Upma is made up of either wheat or rice granules as a savoury recipe. The quality and size of the ingredient vary according to likes and habits of people. Most of them prepare it with refined fine granules of wheat known as Bombay Rava or Upma Rava. Some prepare it with rice granules. But I do not recommend these varieties for health reasons. These contain more of starch content and so, stick to your colon while digesting. So, I prefer large granules of broken wheat of unrefined quality for preparing this broken wheat Upma recipe. It is rich in fiber content and is good for our body.
Broken wheat upma Nutrition Facts
|Serving size: 1 cup cooked upma|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 2 g|
|Carbohydrates 18 g||6%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 1 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
How to prepare Upma and the ingredients required
Now, let me come to the point of preparation of this Upma recipe in a very simple way. The ingredients, I generally use, are very few items as I prepare it very simple and ordinary for a daily menu. I am not adding any vegetables or other things in my preparation. But you can add some pieces of green vegetables, potato, tomato, etc. as per your likings for some increased taste and appeal if you have enough time and stamina.
Upma recipe preparation time
Ingredients for broken wheat recipes - Upma
- 100 grams or 1 cup broken wheat, large granules
- 3 cups for 1 cup water, for boiling before adding broken wheat
- one green chilli (medium), chopped into small pieces
- ginger small piece, chopped into small pieces
- small quantity mustard seeds, for frying at start
- very small quantity cumins, for frying with mustard
- coriander leaves
- half tablespoon cooking oil, for frying ingredients
Ingredients for broken wheat upma recipe
How do you Rate this upma recipe?
Step by step instructions for preparing broken wheat Upma recipe
- First, keep ready all the above-mentioned ingredients within reach. Cut the chilli and ginger into small, tiny pieces and keep ready.
- Place the deep cooking pan on the flame. Add half-a- tablespoon or two small spoons of cooking oil into it and allow to heat.
- Now, add the mustard seeds, cumin, chilli and ginger pieces and coriander leaves to it and fry till a splitting sound comes.
- Then, pour the water of 3 cups into it and add salt. Allow the water to boil.
- After the water gets boiling, add the broken wheat ingredient to it, mix with the spatula and allow to cook. You need not place a lid on it. Otherwise, it may come up with an intense pressure of steam and spill out during the process.
- Mix the recipe two or three times during cooking. It will get cooked within 10 minutes. When the water dries up, place the lid and turn off the flame.
- Allow the recipe to set for 2 minutes and then, serve hot.
- If you wanted to add vegetables to the recipe, you should add the minutely cut pieces while frying the mustard seeds and other ingredients and let them fry for a minute or two before adding the water.
Broken wheat upma recipe
Broken wheat Upma recipe
Comparison of different varieties of broken wheat upma rava
Type of broken wheat
unsaturated (healthy) fat
Broken wheat for this recipe
Bombay / lapsi rava
Broken wheat Upma health benefits
- This Upma recipe is good for health as it contains rich fiber quantity as can be seen from above table.
- The calories or energy that you get from this recipe is quite substantial and lasts for much time even though it is slightly less than Bombay Rawa or Lapsi because of its fine quality.
- More fiber means more time for digestion and so you need not feel the necessity to eating frequently.
- Fiber cleans your colon more efficiently.