- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Central Asian Cuisine
Afghan Bolani Recipe - Potato Stuffed Flat Bread
Afghan Bolani Potato Stuffed Flat Bread
Bolani is one of the most popular Afghan appetizer. It is similar to samosa but uses a larger size pastry. A bolani is traditionally made with either a potato and green onion filling or a gandana (chives) filling. Bolani is served with chutney and strained/Greek yogurt. The traditional method of making bolani involves making the dough first. In order to save time and effort, we will substitute egg-roll wrappers for the dough. Nosh-e-jaan!
- 4 Medium Potatoes
- 2 bunches Spring/Green Onions, Chopped (Include Both White and Green Parts)
- 1/4 Tsp. Coriander
- 1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
- Salt, To Taste
- Vegetable Oil, For Frying
- 1 Bag Egg-roll Wrappers
- Boil potatoes until soft and well cooked. Set aside to cool.
- Chop the green onions into small pieces.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, peel off the skin and mash them inside a mixing bowl.
- Add the green onions, coriander, salt and black pepper to the potato and mix well.
- Take 1 1/2 tablespoon full of the potato mixture and place on the half part of an egg-roll wrapper diagonally. Wet the edges of the egg-roll wrapper with water using your fingers or a basting brush. Take one end of the wrapper and attach it to the other end. Continue for the rest of the pastry.
- Heat oil over a non-stick skillet on a medium-high heat. Place the pastry onto the heated oil and fry each side until golden brown. Continue with the rest of the pastry.
- Serve with chutney and Greek yogurt. Enjoy!
Afghan Chutney Recipe (To be served with Bolani)
- 1 bunch, Cilantro
- 3 cloves, Garlic, minced
- 1, Green/Jalapeno Pepper
- 1 cup, Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon, Salt
- Chop cilantro/parsley and green pepper and place in a blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, (garlic, vinegar and salt) and blend until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Pour in a glass jar/container and place in the fridge overnight. It will be ready to use the next day.