- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Soup Recipes
The Best Butternut Squash Soup
- Cutting Board
- 2 Baking Sheets
- 2 Pounds Chicken
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Large Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Can Chickpeas
- 2 Cans Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Quart Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Spinach
- 1/4 Cup Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Zucchini
- 1 Squash
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
You Will Need the Following Items:
1. Roast the Butternut Squash and Sweet Potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 415 degrees.
- With a paring knife, cut off the skin from the butternut squash and sweet potatoes.
- On a cutting board, cut the butternut squash and sweet potatoes into one inch cubes and transfer them onto two separate baking sheets.
- Lightly coat olive oil over the vegetables and sprinkle them with dried oregano.
- Roast the vegetables for thirty minutes, turning them over halfway through.
2. Prepare the Chicken Stock.
Bring two cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan and add chicken stock cube.
Reduce the heat to a simmer and stir the cube until it dissolves.
3. Blend the Chickpeas.
Empty the chickpeas into a blender and puree well.
Blend the chickpeas into a rich, creamy consistency and then pour them into the crockpot.
Open the can of tomatoes and pour them into the soup.
4. Add Chicken Stock to the Crockpot.
5. Add the Spices to the Crockpot.
Pour in the Cayenne Pepper, Cumin, Paprika, and Ground Cinnamon.
Add Salt, Pepper, and honey.
6. Prepare the Chicken.
Cut the chicken into strips and lightly sprinkle with pepper and garlic powder.
7. Chop the Spinach.
Wash and chop up the spinach and then add to the crock pot.
8. Chop the Zucchini and Squash.
Chop up the zucchini and squash and add them to the soup.
9. Chop the Onions and Mince the Garlic.
10. Add the Butternut Squash and Sweet Potatoes.
Carefully remove the butternut squash and sweet potatoes from the oven and add them to the crockpot.
11. Pan Fry the Chicken.
In a frying pan, heat up one tablespoon of olive oil (or grapeseed oil, it has a higher burning point than olive oil) on medium heat and add the chicken.
Cook the chicken four to five minutes on each side or until the chicken is done. The meat should not be red in the middle.
12. Sauté the Onions and Garlic.
After you have pan fried your chicken, pour in a half tablespoon of olive oil, and sauté the onions and garlic.
The onions and garlic should caramelize a bit in the pan after combining with the chicken remains.
This caramelizing, combined with the hint of cinnamon, gives this soup a very warm, sweet fall taste.
13. Shred the Chicken.
Shred the chicken and add it to the crock pot. Stir all the ingredients well.
Bring the soup to a gentle boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
14. Serve and Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Butternut Squash
Butternut Squash is high in antioxidant content, in particular, those that produce an anti-inflammatory effect, which has been beneficial to those with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Asthma.
It is high in fiber, potassium, B vitamins, beta carotene, and low in fat,
Health Benefits of Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
Chickpeas are very high in fiber, which can aid in weight loss.
Chickpeas contain a phytonutrient called Saponin, which acts like an antioxidant for women, helping to prevent cancer.
Regular intake can lower bad LDL cholesterol and stabilize blood sugar levels.
Health Benefits of Spinach
Did you know that cooking spinach actually increases its' nutritional benefits? That is because our body can't break down all of the nutrients in raw spinach properly. When cooked, spinach delivers three times as many nutrients to our body.
Spinach is rich in Iron, Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Protein, and several flavonoid compounds that act as cancer prevention substances.
Health Benefits of Cayenne Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper has been proven to reduce blood cholesterol, clear sinus congestion,fight inflammation, and even aid in pain relief due to osteoarthritis by the means of a topical cream.
Health Benefits of Cumin
Cumin has been proven to boost the immune systems natural response, a property that is highly beneficial to cancer patients that have undergone chemotherapy and had their immune systems compromised.
Cumin protects the liver from toxins, helps stimulate weight loss by increasing the bodies metabolic rate, and helps in the prevention of cataracts.