- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Butterscotch rarely gets the respect it deserves. It is usually loooked upon as something of a wallflower, taking second seat to the flashier and better known chocolate, vanilla or caramel. I say it deserves star billing. Or at very least a Best Supporting Actress award.
In this cake filling, butterscotch provides a rich backdrop for the lovely caramel elements. Brown sugar and butter cooked together become something ethereal. It is fabulous alone - not that anyone I know would simply eat it with a spoon. Ahem.
Pair it with the Irish Cream Cake, the Chocolate Chip or Pumpkin Cake. Use it with a simple chocolate - whatever you wish. It'll make the rest of the dessert that much better. You'll be glad you invited this little lovely to dance.
How to Make Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped (optional)
In a medium saucepan over low heat, whisk together brown sugar and butter. Stir constantly until sugar melts and the mixture is fully blended. Add 1/2 cup of the milk, and stir until incorporated.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and salt with the remaining 1/2 cup of milk. Add to the brown sugar mixture and cook, stirring constantly, for 5-7 minutes or until thickened.
- Temper eggs by adding about 1/4 cup of the hot mixture to the eggs, stirring constantly. Add another 1/4 cup of the sugar mixture, whisking until fully blended. Add egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining sugar mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow filling to cool competely. Stir in vanilla, and if using, pecans. Make sure filling is completley cool before using.
80.3 Calories, 4.3g Total Fat, 1.6g Saturated Fat, 48.2% Calories from Fat, 32.6g Cholesterol, 61.6mg Sodium, 38.7 Calories from Fat, 9.1g Carbohydrate, 0.23g Dietary Fiber, 1.6g Protein
You may also like:
Layer Cakes! The very best recipes for layer cakes anywhere. Beautifully homemade, simple and delicious layer cakes. If you are looking for a recipe for layer cake - start here. If you have a layer cake recipe, share it!
- The Thrillbilly Gourmet
Combining classic technique with everyday food for spectacular results!