How to Cook Rice in Your Oven Toaster
I just want to share with you one clever technque to minimize your cooking time. Its useful especially during dinner when you just came from the office and need to cook food easily because you're starving. Just follow the steps below:
- First of all you will need a nice metal cup where you will bake your rice. I like using my father's stainless lunch box, well its not actually a box, its a low cylinder, much like a bowl. You know the lunch kit with layers, that's it. Since we only eat at home at night and we are watching our diet, we only bake about 3/4 cup of rice. That's enough for me and my room mate.
- So with the cup ready, you just have to wash your rice like you do on a regular basis. Wash it twice because you don't need to over wash it. A general tip is to use your finger to measure the rice from the bottom of the cup up to the top of the rice, and get the approximate height by marking it with your thumb, then place the finger just above the rice to measure the water level. The water should have the same height as the measurement of the rice, with a little more or less depending on the variety of the rice.
- Then after you got the ample amount of water, you can mark the water level on the container. You can do so by placing a strip of aluminum foil just to mark the water level.
- Heat the rice water separately before putting it in the oven. This reduces the time of cooking of the rice. If you have and electric water heater, its better because it heats water easily. After heating the water you will put it back to your cup or if you have available hot water like from a water dispenser or thermos, then its much better. And don't just throw away the unused rice water. You can use it to water your plants instead.
- Cover the rice cup with foil and place it inside the oven. Turn it on for 12 minutes.
- Its done! You now have a freshly cooked, baked rice. Its better served hot. So just like me, use the time while waiting for your rice to cook your main dish. Its advisable especially if you only have one burner. You know you can easily do it in a rice cooker but mine is broken so I invented an alternative way to cook rice. Enjoy you meal!