- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Vegetable Ingredients
Healthy Cabbage Recipe with Steamed Rice
Hello, this is living with pulmonary hypertension since 2004 and I am making today cabbage and steamed rice. Do you know that cabbage is the most underrated vegetables worldwide? I think it is going to change pretty soon due to its enormous health benefits and low calorie properties. I see that more and more people are starting to include this leafy green vegetable in their dishes or salad. It is now even popular among celebrities who would embark on the cabbage soup diet to lose a few pounds before a big Oscar night. Here I am going to show you how I control my family’s weight by healthy cooking. I cook cabbage almost every week. This is my mission now to provide good healthy food to my family and hoping you do the same for your precious family.
- 1 cabbage, slice into fine long pieces (discard the stalk and thick stems)
- 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seed ( Methi Seed)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric (haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (dried lal mirch)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, chopped in fine pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (hari dhania)
- 2 clove of garlic, cut in pieces
- In a saucepan, add 2 spoons of oil and Heat the oil on medium high.
- To see if the oil is ready add few cumin seed to the oil, if seed cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add all the ingredients like asafoetida, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds, once seeds starts cracking add onion, garlic and green chilies, stir for a few seconds.
- When it turns in to brown color add cut potatoes. Stir and cover the lid.
- Add cut tomatoes and all the spices turmeric, garam masala, cayenne pepper and salt, mix well and cover the lid for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the cabbage, Mix well
- Cover the pan and let it cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes until the cabbage is tender. Occasionally stir it. Turn the heat off when done.
Do you know that nearly all vegetables and fruits are low in fat. The exceptions are avocados, olives and coconut.
How to select a good cabbage:Look for a head that is heavy for its size with crisp, firmly packed leaves.
How to store cabbage: Wrapped in plastic bag in the refrigerator for a week.
How to chop cabbage: Cut a whole cabbage (red or green) into quarters, then slice off the core in the middle. Chop or shred as needed for your recipe, then rinse in a colander.
National Value per 100 g(3.5 oz)
Thiamin (Vitamin B1)
Riboflavin( Vitamin B2)
53 micro g
76 micro gram
Health benefit of Cabbage
- Cabbage is low in calories, making it a great vegetable for people who are on low calorie diet.
- Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamin C which is important to the health of skin, hair and the immune system.
- Cabbage contains Vitamin A, Vitamin B and Vitamin E. And do you know that deficiency of vitamin A can result in serious illnesses.
- Cabbage also has large amounts of glutamine, an amino acid with anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cabbage is a source of indole-3-carbinol,a chemical, help to boost DNA repair in cells and to block the growth of cancer cells.
- Indole-3-carbinol is also used as an adjuvant therapy for recurrent respiratory papillomatosis,a disease of the head and neck caused by human. papillomavirus that causes growths in the airway that can lead to death.
- Cabbage leaves are used to treat acute inflammation.
- A paste of raw cabbage may be placed in a cabbage leaf and wrapped around the affected area to reduce discomfort. Some claim it is effective in relieving painfully engorged breasts in breastfeeding women.
- Scientist claim that fresh cabbage juice is helpful in rapid healing of peptic ulcers.
- How to Cook Red Cargo Rice and Kidney Beans - A Comp...
Kidney beans and red Basmati rice are complete balanced meal to cook for lunch or diner.Learn how to cook these in easy steps.
- How to Make Aloo ka Parantha and Eggplant Bhartha
Mouth watering and soft aloo ka paratha with baigan or eggplant bhartha. Simple to make and double in taste.
- How to Cook Delicious Lunch and your own Tortilla at...
Pulmonary hypertesion condition is not going to stop me for cooking lunch, steamed rice and home made tortilla. See how I manage it.