- Food and Cooking
Cabbage With Fish Head
This recipe is very popular in West Bengal, India. This is a non veg recipe. It uses cabbage a good vegetable having rich fiber and fish heads of mostly rohu or Hilsa which add a fine taste and aroma to the dish in addition to its health benefits.
- Fish head cut into pieces 150 gms (some people like to crush the head after frying it instead of making pieces of raw fish head)
- Cabbage shredded 400 gms
- Turmeric powder 4 tsp
- Mustard oil 5 tbsp (75 ml)
- Onion chopped 50 gm
- Panch phoran 1 tsp (A mixture of five spices in equal quantities namely fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds and onion seeds)
- Bay leaf 2 no
- Red chili (Whole) 2 no
- Red chilli powder 2 tsp (If you don’t like red chilli you can use green chilies also)
- Salt to taste
- Marinade the fish pieced with 2 tsp turmeric powder and salt for 15 – 20 minutes
- Deep fry the fish head pieces till it turn into golden brown. Remove the pieces and keep aside.
- Add panch phoran, bay leaves and red chili (whole) to the oil which is already heated.
- Add onion and sauté for 2 – 3 minutes
- Add cabbage, red chili powder, remaining turmeric powder and salt
- Cook on low flame with the lid on the pan, stir frequently to avoid sticking with the pan.
- Add the fish pieces and cook till the water is absorbed completely and the aroma of cooked cabbage starts coming.
- No water is normally required to add as water comes out from the cabbage during cooking; however if you feel that a small quantity of water is required to add for making it more tender you can do so.
- Serve hot with rice