Canadian Recipe: Made in Canada Cocktail (1) The Lakeside Splash
Canada has plenty of natural resources, gorgeous natures, and inspiring cultures. I decided to make a series of Canadian cocktails recipes in before Canada Day in 2012. Readers are able to get these recipes and enjoy the holiday.
Non-Canadian ingredients can be used to make all these summer drinks.
The first drink, I have to introduce, is the Lakeside Splash. This cocktail has a signature feature of Niagara Region. Beside the beautiful and great falls, Niagara in Ontario also refers to the boom of vines and wineries. The region is producing high-quality grape varietals for Ontario wines.
- 1/2 Cups Green Grapes
- 1/2 oz Lime Juice
- 1/2 oz Classic Syrup
- 1 1/2 oz Vokda
- 2 oz Cranberry Juice
- Lime Wheel
- To make the classic syrup, combine equal amount of sugar and water and boil, stir until the sugar has dissolved, and store it in the fridge until chilled.
- Add green grape, lime juice, classic syrup into a cocktail shaker.
- Mash and mix the ingredients.
- Fill the shaker with ice.
- Add vodka and cranberry juice.
- Shake and strain into a glass with ice.
- Put lime wheel into the drink.
- Using seedless green grapes is better. You do not want to pick the seed while drinking this tasty cocktail.
- It is your preference of using the amount of classic syrup. If you like sweeter, you can add more syrup in the cocktail.
- Make the classic syrup few hours before making the cocktail.
Something About Niagara Region
- Niagara region has the world's largest ice wine producer. This region is well-known consistently freezing in winder.
- In November 2006, the Canadian Ice Wine producer Royal DeMaria released five cases of Ice Wine, namely Chardonnay. Its price set at CAD30,000 for only a half-bottle.
- The Niagara region has one of four recognized viticultural area by Vintners Quality Alliance in the Ontario wine industry. It plays a major role in attracting tourists and visitors. Most wineries offer full tours of their facilities with a few offering onsite dining featuring special Canada cuisine paired with their vintages.
- Ontario is one of the biggest province with different cultures. Living here you can experience not only the lovely Ice Wines from Niagara region, but you can also experience the diversity in here.