Candied Apple Pie
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Shortening
- 1/2 cup Water
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 6 cups Apples, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Butter, Melted
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup Pecans, Chopped
- Make the pie crust by combining the 2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup of shortening and 1/2 cup of water. Mix well then rollout. For step by step instructions see my hub on Creating the Perfect Pie Crust. If you have a pre made pie crust ready ignore this step.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt into a large bowl. Add apples and toss lightly to coat the apples.
- Spoon everything into a pastry lined 9-inch pie plate. Dot with the 2 tablespoons of butter and sprinkle the lemon juice on top.
- Top pie with top pie crust and seal the edges by carefully pressing them together. Cut small vents in the top to let out steam. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the pie is cooking mix the melted butter, brown sugar and whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl. When pie is ready microwave this mixture on medium for 2 minutes, stir in pecans, then microwave again for 1 minute.
- Spoon the candy topping over the top of the pie crust. Bake the pie for another 2 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
- If you bake this pie in a glass pie plate the cook time can be reduced to 30 minutes
- Pie can keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days as long as it is well covered. When ready reheat the pie in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.