- Food and Cooking
Neapolitan Cannoli Recipe with Fluffy Ricotta
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons firm butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 inches deep frying oil, in a fry cooker
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- ¾ cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup milk chocolate, chopped
- 24 candied cherries, halved
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ cup candied citron & candied orange peel, finely chopped
- 1 cup whipped cream, stiff
- ¼ cup ground pistachios
To make your own aluminum cannoli tubes, buy tubing used for hanging shower curtain in the bathroom and cut pipe into 4" sections, and smooth out the rough edges.
Mix flour, salt & sugar and then make a well in the center and break egg into well and add butter. Stirring with a fork, work from center out to moisten flour mix. Add wine 1 tablespoon at a time until dough clings. form dough into ball, cover and stand 15 minutes.
Roll out dough to 1/16" thin and cut out into 3 ½" circles and roll cutouts into ovals. Wrap oval onto aluminum cannoli tubes, sealing edges with egg white. Flare out edges of dough ends so can remove from tube after frying.
Heat frying oil to 350º, fry up to three dough-wrapped tubes at a time until lightly browned. Remove with tongs the hot cannoli tubes from the shells before cooling and draining cannoli shells. The aluminum cannoli tube will be very hot and must be very careful not to burn hands.
The unfilled shells & stuffing can be made before hand up to three days prior to filling. Do not fill shells to store because the filled shells will become soft overnight. Fill shells when plan to be eaten that very same day,
Fluffy Ricotta Filling
- In a blender, food processor or strainer, rice/blend 2 cups ricotta cheese until smooth.
- Beat ¾ cups powdered sugar
- Add 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Mix in candied citron and candied orange peel
- Fold whipped creamed into ricotta mixture
Stuffing and shells can be made up to 3 days prior. Do not stuff the shells until plan to eat that very same day. Carefully stuff shells by hand with a spoon, dip ends into the ground pistachios and garnish ends with candied cherries. Sift powdered sugar over shells. Makes about 24 pastries, 2 pastries per serving.
Home Cooking Baking and Confections Pies and Pastry Pastry Recipes Italian Sicilian