Cantaloupe Popsicles - a Healthy Seasonal Recipe
Everybody loves a good popsicle on a warm day, and the weather is just starting to heat up as summer approaches. There are plenty of ice-cold treats to turn to, but how about sneaking in some daily fruit while you’re satisfying that sweet tooth? Cantaloupe popsicles are a deliciously simple treat that will help the whole family make the right nutritional choice.
This melon is full of nutritional benefits. According to the California Cantaloupe Advisory Board, one cantaloupe popsicle contains a full daily recommended allowance of vitamins A and C, as well as a good dose of dietary fiber and folic acid. And although cantaloupe season doesn’t fully kick off until summer, I’m already finding some delicious and juicy samples in my local grocery stores.
- 1 Cantaloupe
- Popsicle sticks
- Popsicle mold or plastic cups
- Optional variation: Orange Juice
- Optional variation: Carrot Juice
1) Slice up the melon and remove of the rind.
2) Place the flesh of the melon in a blender or food processor and process until smooth and liquefied.
3) Pour in to popsicle mold, or any plastic container you have on hand. I used plastic cups, and filled with about 1 cup of the fruit blend.
Setting the Stick
4) You can either wait until the popsicle is partly frozen to push in the popsicle stick, or you can use plastic wrap to do so straight away. Simply cover the top of the container with plastic wrap and stick the popsicle stick through, as pictured.
5) Now allow to freeze for at least three hours, and there you have it! Easy and delicious natural fruit popsicles.
Pick a Good One
How to pick out a nice ripe cantaloupe? Give it a rap with your knuckles – it should sound hollow. Also compare the weight of the fruit – the heavier the better. Just make sure it isn’t developing soft spots, as this indicates that it’s overly ripe.
You can come up with endless version of this simple recipe. I tried mixing in 1 part carrot juice for a veggie fix, while in another variation I added orange juice for a nice citrus tang.
|Serving size: 1 popsicle|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 16 g||5%|
|Sugar 14 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
© By: Allison A. Green, All Rights Reserved