- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Cantonese Shrimp Dumpling Recipe (Har Gow/Ha Gao) - Chinese Dim Sum
If you love dim sum, I bet you are familiar with har gow. For those who are new to Chinese dim sum, har gow (ha gao, ha gow) is Cantonese shrimp dumpling. It's a tasty small pocket filled with shrimps, water chestnut or bamboo shoot, spring onions and seasoned with soy sauce. The wrapper or skin is very thin, translucent, elastic, little bit sticky and chewy.
This popular dumpling is usually served in dim sum restaurants. It's served with soy sauce or hot chili oil and black vinegar dipping sauce. Har gow and shu mai is the best duo in the dumpling family.
The secret of making good shrimp dumpling is using wheat starch to produce amazing paper thin, translucent, chewy and sturdy wrapper. The filling should be fresh, crunchy, crisp and not overcooked.
Yes, making har gow takes some works and needs a lot of practice to master it, but its possible to make it at home. if you have a tortilla press, it will help to flatten the dough out into a thin sheet. Dot forget to line the tortilla press with greased plastic sheets.
This recipe calls for water chestnut but you can also use bamboo shoot.
What You Need
serves 6 - 9
1/2 lbs shrimp, peeled, chopped
1/4 cup chopped water chestnut
1 tbsp chopped spring onions
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp minced ginger
1/4 tsp sesame oil
har gow wrapper (36 pieces)
How to Fix
- In a mixing bowl, combine shrimp, chestnut, spring onions, salt, soy sauce, sesame oil and minced ginger. Stir thoroughly.
- In a work surface, fill center of each har gow wrapper with 1 teaspoon of filling mixture. Lift the upper edge of the wrapper and fold it to cover the filling. Use your fingers and thumb to pleat and press the dumplings. Place the dumplings in single layer on a greased dish. Cover to prevent it dry.
- Prepare a steamer. Put the dumplings on a greased steamer or line the steamer with napa cabbage. Steam over boiling water for about 12 minutes or until they are shiny, translucent and the shrimp are orange.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Serve it warm with soy sauce and or hot chili oil.
Har Gow Skin Recipe
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 cup flour
1 cup boiling water plus 2 tbsp
1 tsp canola oil
- In a mixing bowl, shift tapioca flour and flour.
- Then add boiling water gradually. Stir with a a spoon or fork. Let it cool.
- Grease your hands with canola oil. Then knead the dough about 5 - 10 minutes or until firm and smooth. Let it rest about 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 35 small balls. Each ball is about 1-inch in diameter.
- Use a greased rolling pin to flatten out the ball as thin as possible. We will need about 3 inches in diameter of har gow wrapper.
- The wrapper is ready to use.