Caprese (Mozzarella, Tomato & Basil) Panini
When I was younger, I worked in a deli. It was no ordinary grocery store deli, this was a specialty deli of sorts. We made fresh sandwiches with fresh ingredients. We made real food such as baked salmon with lemon, real prime rib, etc.. We were known for our sandwiches. We made them fresh to order with only the highest quality ingredients. The caprese was a very popular sandwich.
Caprese on herbed Panini Bread
- One Herbed Panini Bread, Or any sandwich bread of your choosing
- Roma tomato, Sliced about 1/4" thick
- Fresh Mozzarella, Sliced about 1/4" thick
- Fresh Basil, Finely Chopped or whole leaves, your preference
- Basil Pesto, Store bought or homemade
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Halve your panini bread and spread pesto on the bottom half, then lay two sliced tomatoes on top of the pesto, then add two or three slices of mozzarella on top of the tomatoes and spinkle with chopped basil. If you prefer full leaves, lay the leaves on top of the mozzarella. Spread the top half of bread with more basil pesto.
- Brush the olive oil on both sides of the panini a place on preheated grill. Press gently and let warm for 5-7 minutes, until cheese is melted. Remove and serve immediately.