I have a huge sweet tooth, but I always feel super guilty after eating desert. Instead, I decided to make something that tasted like the chocolate that I was craving, but without all the sugar and additives. I made a caramel-like mixture, using dates and pent butter, then rolled it into balls and covered them in my version of "melted chocolate". These chocolate covered bites are not only guilt-free and absolutely delicious, but are actually packed with protein and iron, great for after a work out or a long day.
- 2 cups dates, pitted
- 1 1/2 tablespoon peanut butter, (or any nut butter)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons choice sweetener, (I used molasses)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Optional: sea salt or coconut, (for decoration)
- In a food processor, blend dates, peanut butter and sea salt until they form a thick, sticky consistency.
- Place the mixture into a bowl and let it cool in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- Roll the cooled mixture into bite-size balls and place on a parchment covered plate and place them back in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- While the date mixture cools, mix together the melted coconut oil, cocoa powder and sweetener, until it looks like melted chocolate.
- Roll each date mixture balls in the chocolate-like mixture until they are fully covered and place back on parchment paper.
- Sprinkle coconut shreds or seasalt on top of the balls, and place them back in the freezer to cool. The "Caramel bites" can be kept in the freezer and will thaw at room temperature. Makes approximately 12 bites.