- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Caramel Dessert Recipes: How To Make Creme Caramel (Flan)
Easy To Make Creme Caramel
Creme caramel or flan is also known in the Betty Crocker International Cookbook from the 1970s as caramel custard .
I almost prefer the name caramel custard because I think some people are intimidated to think of making flan or creme caramel just because of the name. It is a super simple recipe to make, takes no time at all, and the result is delicious! Somehow when I came across this recipe decades ago, I was not daunted by the name as it sounded so simple!
There are also a billion recipes and variations out there that are equally delicious with different ingredients but the most important thing to remember is that it is a custard so always test for doneness - a paring knife inserted halfway between the pan edge and the center of the custard should come out clean. Most recipes are baked as in the 'old days' - in the oven with the custard cups inside a larger pan with water surrounding the cups or ramekins.
Here on Amazon
Creme Caramel - Flan - Caramel Custard
- 1/2 cup sugar (** see note below)
- 3 eggs slightly beaten (can substitute 3/4 cup egg substitute)
- 1 can 13 ounces evaporated milk (1-2/3 cups) - can use nonfat evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the 1/2 cup sugar in 1-quart saucepan over low heat.
- Stir constantly until melted and golden brown. (This is making the syrup)
- Divide syrup among four 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins.
- Rotate cups to coat the bottom.
- Allow syrup to harden in cups or ramekins – about 5 minutes.
- Mix remaining ingredients, pour into custard cups or ramekins.
- Place cups or ramekins in square pan 9 x 9 x 2 inches - place on oven rack.
- Pour very hot water into the pan to within 1/2 inch of tops of cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean, 40-50 minutes.
- Immediately remove from water.
- Serve warm or refrigerate and unmold at serving time if desired.
SPICED BRANDY CUSTARD
Stir into the beaten eggs
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Or substitute a liqueur for the 2 tablespoons brandy
** Sometimes the making of the syrup with sugar alone is very hard to do so I researched and found another method that works and is a little more foolproof. Instead of just the sugar, you can use 1/4 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water. Combine the sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan over medium-high heat and cook until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Continue cooking for 4 minutes or until golden - then pour into the custard cups or ramekins and proceed as before.
More Flan Recipes
- Decadent Butterscotch Flan - All Recipes
Wow friends and family with this elegant and delicious butterscotch flan.
- Baked Flan - All Recipes
This is a quick and easy baked flan recipe that is prepared in the blender. It's great served warm or cold and has a creamy texture like custard.
- Caramel-Glazed Flan - All Recipes
More egg whites than yolks and low-fat sweetened condensed milk are the signature features of this altered flan.