Slow Cooker Goat Curry Recipe : How to Make Caribbean Style Slow Cooked Curried Goat
How to make Caribbean style curried goat, slow cooked
GOAT CURRY - Goat curry is delicious. This hub on HubPages will discuss how to make curried goat in the slow cooker or crockpot, Caribbean style. As indicated on my recipe for fried bananas, I love food with a Caribbean flair. Goat curry is one of those dishes. When it comes to meat, some cuisines such as goat curry are not as common as chicken or turkey. If you are a meat eater and you are reading this but can not fathom the idea of eating goat, I say maybe you would like to reconsider and give this slow cooked curried goat recipe a chance. Goat meat is quite tasty.
If the idea of eating goat meat seems exotic, foreign or uncommon to you, reading this curry goat recipe hub from your location in the world, then consider that goat is often used in cooking Jamaican, Trinidadian and Indian dishes. Flavoring the goat meat with the curry spice is also typical or common in these countries. As I mentioned with another recipe hub discussing plantains, goat meat is also a type of food that is not always readily found in supermarkets and grocery stores within the United States.
Here in the USA, I recently went to an 'African/Caribbean/Oriental' market that supplies a lot of less commonly used meats such as goat meat to the community.
- As the case may be, it might be easier to find frozen imported goat meat than farm fresh goat meat.
- For preparing curried goat in the slow cooker, the package of goat meat that I picked up is an export of Australia.
GOAT CURRY is a very delicious dish with variations of it served in Indian restaurants and Caribbean restaurants alike.
Goat meat from Australia
Allowing the goat meat to thaw before placing it in the slow cooker
- As I mentioned in a recent hub/article about slow cooked turkey wings, placing frozen meat in the slow cooker is not ideal.
- I recommend removing the desired portion of goat meat from the plastic bag and immediately placing what is not needed back into the freezer.
- Allow the goat meat that you will be using to sit on the counter in some water to thaw adequately.
- When the goat meat has begun to soften from its frozen state, pour out the water and rinse the goat meat again several times.
- Drain after the last rinse and place the cubes of goat meat into the slow cooker.
- You will add the needed spices directly into the slow cooker with the goat meat.
- Alternatively, if you have time the night before, pre-seasoning the goat meat and placing it in the bottom of the refrigerator, covered with foil or plastic wrap, will allow it to be very well marinated.
- The flavors will be well absorbed when you are ready to place the goat meat in the slow cooker.
Prepping cubed goat meat to make curried goat recipe
The relatively easy to find spices & sauces that will work best to make your curried goat meat dish taste like "Caribbean style"
The most desired spices for making this goat curry dish are:
- curry powder (which typically includes turmeric, coriander and other spices),
- and a blend of both jamaican style hot pepper sauce and jerk sauce.
- I also add extra garlic and parsley.
Goat & rice dish
Toward the end of the goat's cooking time, in the slow cooker, I add rice for a one pot dish. You can also cook the rice separately on the stovetop, if preferred.
To enhance the Caribbean flavor, you can use flavored rice. I recommend Zatarain's Caribbean flavored rice. Be mindful of the sodium content. With that much salt in the rice mix, you might only want to use half of the flavoring (which is what I do) and not add any additional salt to the goat meat itself.
Adding rice to the goat in the slow cooker
With the goat having remained in the slow cooker for up to 8 hours, you can add the rice mix in the final 1/2 hour of cooking time. Add a bit more water, enough to cover the rice. At the end of the 1/2 hour, you are done. Enjoy your goat curry meal!
1. Jamaican Curry Goat Recipe
2. How to Cook Curry Goat for Sunday Dinner | Recipes by Chef Ricardo
3. Curry Goat | EAF Presents with Chef Jason Peru
4. JAMAICAN CURRY GOAT | Malaika Malz
5. Curry Goat | Sam Frimpong
6. Goat Curry at Seattle's Only Authentic Trinidadian Restaurant - Cooking in America
7. Curry Goat Recipe | caribbeanpot
8. Jamaican Curry Goat Recipe Video | Cook Like a Jamaican
9. Curry Goat | Taste of Trini
© 2009 Nyesha Pagnou MPH