How to make Caribbean style sponge cake: Delicious dessert recipe
Caribbean style sponge cake - Ingredients
I have wanted to know how to make Caribbean style sponge cake for several years now. There is definite merit in the Caribbean bakeries where you can just stop by for a delicious dessert treat if you live near to the bakery and really don't have any time to bake for yourself. It has been a long time since I went to purchase baked goods at a Caribbean bakery though. I no longer live near to one. Of course there are online possibilities. Many people will order certain types of food online especially when it is not readily available near to where they live. This might include food from bakeries that have become very sophisticated in taking and fulfilling online orders over the years. Dry ice and Styrofoam containers are popularly used by vendors who take orders over the internet or by phone and pack them to ship distances. The convenience of this is great for many.
Thus far, I haven't ordered a sponge cake online. Since I enjoy cooking and baking, preparing the Caribbean style sponge cake recipe for myself does not seem like too much of a chore. It is often nice to be able to prepare a dish that I truly enjoy, at home rather than look for its availability at a particular supermarket, restaurant or bakery. If you are on a budget, it is also good to bake this Caribbean style sponge cake for yourself rather than pay for it already prepared, possibly paying for it by the slice. Additionally, it is not particularly time consuming to prepare this sponge cake. So, you can save money without spending too much time.
This Caribbean style sponge cake recipe is adapted from several sponge cake recipes found on-line. The main one that I decided to follow called for a dozen eggs but I have used just eight eggs, for example.
Here are the basic steps that I followed to achieve a great sponge cake taste that is authentic as you would find in the Caribbean twin island country of Trinidad and Tobago.
This is what you will need to prepare the Caribbean style sponge cake.:
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
Instructions - for example, separate the eggs
Here are the steps to follow for baking this sponge cake.:
1. Take two bowls and break each of the 8 eggs, separating them. Put the egg whites in one of the bowls and put the egg yolks in the other.
2. To the bowl with the egg whites, add the sugar and mix well until creamed.
3. Mix the flour, vegetable oil and baking powder in a third bowl. Add the egg yolks (beaten) and blend all with an electric mixer. Slowly stir in the creamed egg white and sugar mixture. Continue to beat with the hand mixer until smooth.
4. Pour the batter into a greased and floured round cake pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees in a preheated oven for 1 hour.
6. Cool, serve and enjoy.