- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- New World Cuisine
Caribbean papaya hot sauce. Make your own in 15 minutes. Great for the BBQ!
Papaya inferno sauce
Easy papaya hot sauce
This is a great 15 minute hot table sauce and will compliment any Caribbean, Indian, or general grilled meats very well. The sauce is very easy to make, and ads an exotic twist to everyday BBQ.
Papaya Caribbean Hot Sauce
- 1 large ripe papaya, peeled, and cut into chunks for blending
- 1 onion chopped
- 1carrot minced finely
- A piece of ginger about the size of your thumb, minced
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 1-20 hot fresh chilies, use as many as you like
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- Vinegar and salt to taste
- Orange or pineapple juice to thin the consistency
- Heat some oil in a heavy fry pan, and sauté the onion and carrot until softened. Add the garlic ginger and chilies, and sauté until the garlic and ginger are fragrant, about another minute.
- Add all ingredients to the blender and puree.
- The sauce will likely be too thick, so add orange or pineapple juice until it is diluted to the desired consistency
The amount of vinegar to add will depend on the relative tartness of the fruit. You are looking to get a balance of sour and sweet. The sauce should be only very pleasantly sour. Add a few pinches of salt to taste. The sauce shouldn't taste salty, but without any salt, will definitely be missing something.
I originally got the idea for this sauce off of the internet myself, and this is my modified over time recipe. I'm sorry to not credit this better, but I can't remember were I the idea from!
I love this sauce with anything Caribbean, and it goes well with jerk chicken or pork, as well as any simply grilled seafood. The sauce lends itself to easy modification, and if you don’t like ginger or garlic, you can easily leave them out, and the sauce will still be great. I use small Thai bird chilies here (probably because I am in Thailand!) but habaneros or scotch bonnets would be the ideal. If using either of these…don't use the whole 20! Start with one, and you may want to add another. These chilies are seriously HOT!