- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Caramel Apple French Toast Recipe
Weekend Brunch with Caramel Apple French Toast
Ahhhh..... Sunday morning.
The laziness of it all is so indulgent. Why not top it off with a wonderfully rich breakfast? French toast is a weekend recipe favorite. With this recipe for Caramel Apple French Toast, your weekend will become just a little more special.
It doesn't take too long to make, and is absolutely delicious! We've added a few ingredients to the original recipe as it was given to our family, and you may wish to do the same! For a mouth-watering weekend brunch treat, scroll on down to see how to make Caramel Apple French Toast.
Prep and Cook Time for Caramel Apple French Toast
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 25 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- Yields: 2 servings
Ingredients for Caramel Apple French Toast
Ingredients: This Recipe Makes 1-2 servings of Caramel Apple French Toast:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream (at room temperature)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup graham crackers (ground)
4 large eggs
2 medium apples, peeled and sliced (Braeburn, Honeycrisp, Fuji, or Gala work best)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 slices thick white bread
Powdered sugar to sprinkle on top (optional)
How to Make the Sauce for the Caramel Apple French Toast
- Over medium-low heat, melt the butter in a medium saucepan, stirring continuously. Add the brown sugar and dissolve - about three minutes.
- Turn off heat, cool to room temperature (about 10 minutes) and then add heavy cream and vanilla. Stir thoroughly.
- Set aside.
Making Baked Apples
Rate this Caramel Apple French Toast Recipe
Make the Baked Apples for the French Toast
- Wash, peel and slice the apples. If desired, you can chop them into smaller pieces.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, place the apples and about 1/4 cup water and cover with a lid.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Microwave on high 3-4 minutes. Carefully remove from oven, as steam will be hot. Stir and test for desired firmness. Repeat until apples are cooked.
- Allow to cool slightly, approximately 5 minutes.
French Toast Cookbook
Make the French Toast for the Recipe
- Pre-heat a griddle to 350 degrees.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter on griddle
- In a blender or food processor, grind the graham crackers (about 1 package) to make 1 cup of crumbs. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat 4 eggs until mixed.
- Take each slice of bread and dip into egg mixture, then roll in graham cracker crumbs
- Grill bread on each side until golden brown
- Transfer to a serving plate and place 1/4 cup baked apples on top and drizzle caramel sauce. Sprinkle powdered sugar, if desired.
Now you can enjoy your Caramel Apple French Toast!
If you loved this recipe, be sure to rate it above. Comments below are also welcome!
Love French Toast? Try this Recipe Too!
© 2008 Stephanie Hicks