- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Caribbean Flavor- Saltfish Fritters
Saltfish fritters are a delicacy in Jamaica and we love to enjoy a big batch, especially on Friday evenings. These can be had with just about anything; avocado, bread, porridge. It's best to wait around the kitchen door and have a go at them right out of the frying pan. I just love fritters!!
Go ahead and experiment with the ingredients and make it your own.
- 6 oz Saltfish (salted cod)
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Rm temp. water
- 1 Tsp Ketchup, (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Green, red and/or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- Pinch Salt, (optional)
- 1/2 Tsp Thyme Leaves
- 1 Small Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- Vegetable Oil, for frying
- Wash excess salt from saltfish and soak overnight or for 4 hrs (cooking not required)
- Rinse with cold water, flake saltfish and remove bones (if boneless fish was not used)
- Combine flour, baking powder, saltfish, pepper, onion, thyme and tomatoes in a large bowl
- Add water to flour mixture (you can add more or less water - this will determine the thinnest of the batter and the crisp of the fritters)
- Pour oil in non-stick frying pan and spoon batter in. Wait for each fritter edge to form before pouring in the next (this will help in maintaining individuality)
- Fry until golden brown on (that's how I love them) each side
- Place fritters on paper towel to absorb excess oil
Serve up the perfect treat for any occasion! Now you can dazzle family and friends with tasty tidbits from Taste of Home Appetizers-a delicious collection of party starters from Taste of Home.
With this colorful new cookbook, it's never been easier to:
Mix and match from 410 simple-to-make recipes for any occasion Find the perfect bite for any event or budget Dish up delicious dips and spreads, meatballs, party pizzas, sweet and savory snack mixes, and more.