- Food and Cooking
potato carrot stew
My Favorite Stew
A typical dish for the dark season, in autumn and winter, when outside the temperatures are going down, when it is colder, is a stew, or an one-pot-meal. In this region of Europe, especially more in eastern parts of Europe, "stews" are typical rural meals. I remember from childhood, my mother loved to prepare one-pot-dishes, or stews. It was easy, and such dishes were prepared very quickly.
In general there are two kinds of stews/one-pot-meals:
* those ones, where the sliced ingredients remain intact (not smashed); I always called them "soups with whole pieces";
* or the stews, based on "smashed" potatoes, where you can mix with different vegetables, even slices of meat; mostly they are served with some prepared piece of meat.
My favorite stew: smashed potatoes, mixed with carrots, and served with big slices of roasted smoked bacon.
Preparing Potato Carrot Stew
* potatoes, young carrots, 2 onions, 1 leek, (smoked) bacon
* pepper, salt, thyme, laurel, nutmeg, butter
How to prepare the "stew":
* in one casserole you melt the butter
* add the shredded onions, the sliced leek, and little pieces baked smoked bacon
(You can choose also pieces of saussage or pieces of another kind of meat, instead of bacon)
* in another casserole you cook the sliced potatoes and carrots
* add water to just above the ingredients, with 1 sprig of thyme and few laurel leaves
* when cooked: drain the water; then put without water for a minute back on the oven
and shake up the cooked ingredients
(You can choose and add your own favorite vegetables, instead of carrots)
* add some salt, pepper and nutmeg, and smash the potatoes with carrots,
so you will become a puree
* add the puree to the first casserole, and mix all very well
How to serve the Potato-Carrot Stew?
It's personal; everybody has his own taste.
You can change ingredients, also quantities, or added herbs...
So to change my stew, I also love "sprouts", instead of carrots, or savoy cabbage, or other cabbages (cauliflower, broccoli,...).
When my "main course", the potato-carrot stew is ready, I serve it mostly with some meat: a roasted sausage or bacon, a cutlet, or some kind of another roast.
When we sometimes go out to eat in a restaurant, I even choose the restaurant, where they serve excellent delicious stews.
The World of "stews"
Different variants of StewsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Find your Stew Recipes
Poll about Stews
Do you prepare sometimes a Stew?
Tom Valenti's Soups, Stews, and One-Pot Meals - 125 Home Recipes from the Chef-Owner of New York City's Ouest and 'Cesca
How to learn to prepare the best stews or one-pot-meals from a master chef.
The Stew Duel Debate
What do you think? Can you present a "stew dish" on a restaurant menu card?