- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Cashew and Carrot vegetarian/Vegan Nut Loaf with Added Sunflower Seeds
Cashew and carrot vegan nut roast is not a quick and easy meal, don't get me wrong, it's not extremely difficult to make, just fairly time consuming when it comes to the preparation. Having said that, this dish is well worth the effort!
The combination of nuts and seeds, garlic, herbs and vegetables are truly delicious and when turned out onto a serving platter, vegan nut roast looks impressive too.
I've tried lots of other vegetarian/vegan nut roast recipes in the past and although I've found them edible, I've often found them a bit dry. The carrot stock, carrots and tahini paste in this recipe ensure that the dish remains moist. In short, this is the best nut roast I've ever tasted.
Like so many other of my recipes, I haven't used a food processor to blitz the nuts, but obviously you'll need to use your common sense here. If you're considering feeding small children this dish, you really should blitz the nuts because of the choking hazard.
If you're looking for an impressive dish to serve to your vegan/vegetarian friends, or perhaps something special to replace the turkey on Thanksgiving, Vegan nut roast is a great option.
Nutritional value of vegan nut roast per serving
|Calories from Fat||270|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 30 g||46%|
|Carbohydrates 18 g||6%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Protein 13 g||26%|
|Sodium 125 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 1 hour 10 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 40 min
- Yields: Serves six
Cashew and carrot vegan nut loaf
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- knob vegan margarine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb carrots, chopped
- 6 oz raw, unsalted cashews, chopped, crushed or ground
- 2 heaped tbsp sunflower seeds
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp tahini paste
- 70 mls carrot stock
- 1 tbsp dried yeast
- 3 rings red pepper, sliced
- 4/5 sprigs fresh parsley
Method for making cashew and carrot vegan nut loaf
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5/ 350 F
- Add half a tbsp of olive oil to a roasting pan and heat in the oven for 3-4 minutes. Remove the pan form the oven when heated through and add the sunflower seeds in a single layer. Return to the pan to the oven.
- Add the chopped carrots to a pan of water, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- Whilst the carrots are simmering and the sunflower seeds are roasting, chop, break or blitz the cashews in a food processor.
- When the carrots have softened, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, retain the water from the carrots for later. Mash the carrots with a potato masher or the back of a folk. Set aside
- Remove the sunflower seeds from the oven (13-14 minutes later) The seeds should be nicely toasted. Set aside for later.
- Heat some oil in a skillet (frying pan) and then add the garlic and onions. Saute the onions until they are soft and have changed color.
- Mix the mashed carrot with the chopped cashews, then add all the remaining ingredients (except for the pepper and parsley) but including the carrot stock. Mix thoroughly.
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin with the vegan margarine, make sure you grease it well because you want the nut roast to have a nice, dark crust.
- Tip the carrot and cashew mixture into the loaf tin and press down so that the mixture is very compact. Cover with aluminium foil then turn the oven down to gas mark 4/ 375 F. Place the loaf tin in the oven for approximately 1 hour.
- Remove the loaf tin from the oven after one hour and remove the foil. The nut roast should have started to brown around the edges. Put the loaf tin back in the oven for 5-6 minutes, or until the loaf has browned.
- After the loaf has browned remove from the oven and allow at least 10-15 minutes before turning out.
- After turning out the loaf, garnish with the red peppers and parsley as illustrated.