Cat Face Cupcakes
These Cat Face Cupcakes can be made with any brand or flavor of cake mix and frosting from the grocery store. To decorate them, all you need is two tubes of black writing gel and some small pink and black jellybeans. If you frost them with chocolate icing, use white writing gel instead of black.
They’re so easy to make, even kids can help decorate them and have fun coming up with their own creative cat faces.
Here’s the complete list of what you’ll need and some photos to give you an idea of how to decorate them.
- 1 Box Cake Mix, (any brand or flavor)
- 1 Container Frosting, (any brand or flavor)
- Eggs, Oil, Water, (follow instructions on cake mix box)
- 2 Tubes Cake Writing Gel, (Black or White, depending on frosting color)
- 12 Small Black and Pink Jellybeans, (for noses)
- Cupcake Pan & Liners
- Bake cupcakes according to the directions on the cake mix box.
- Once they’re completely cool, frost with icing. Try to make the surface of the frosting as smooth as possible. This will make it easier to draw on them with the writing gel.
- Put the frosted cupcakes in the refrigerator for an hour so the surface becomes less sticky.
- Use the cake writing gel to draw simple cat faces like shown in the photographs. You can use the gel for the nose or cut a small black or pink jelly bean (like Jelly Bellys) in half and stick it into the frosting as shown.
- (Cake writing gel can usually be found in grocery stores. If not, try a party supply store or baking supply specialty store.)
A typical box of cake mix makes 24 cupcakes.
© 2013 carolynkaye