- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Vegetable Ingredients
Cauliflower Potato Subzi (Gobi Aloo)
Cauliflower Potato Subzi
Cauliflower Potato Subzi is a universal favorite among vegetable dishes and amongst people of all ages - after all, who doesn't like cauliflowers, and potatoes for that matter. A popular veggie dish in restaurant menus, this is something you can easily accomplish at your own home.
I have fried the cauliflower and potatoes to enhance the taste of the dish as the fried veggies in the subzi give a crispy texture and of course, a wonderful taste. While the subzi is dry, the masalas infused in the main ingredients give an immense flavor and taste to the dish.
As a variation, I have added boiled green peas and kashmiri chilli powder to the subzi to give a different quality to the subzi. As the peas have an inherent sweetness, the resulting subzi is slightly sweeter than what I have done with just the Cauliflower Potato subzi, which always makes it a hit.
As such, both varieties taste awesome, so look at the recipe below and start cooking.
- 300 gms cauliflower (gobi)
- 2 medium size potato (aloo)
- 2 medium size onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp subzi masala
- 1/4 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- Salt (according to taste)
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 5 tbsp oil
- 100 gms green peas (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (optional)
1. Cut small florets of the cauliflower and cut 1 inch cubes of potato.
2. Cut the onions and tomatoes finely.
Instructions for cooking
1. Heat oil in a pan and on a low to medium flame, stir fry the cauliflower till they turn golden brown in color. Then remove the fried cauliflower from the pan and keep aside.
2, Put potatoes into your pan and stir fry till they turn golden brown, then remove it from the pan and keep aside.
3. In the same pan, add cumin seeds and when they splutter, add the chopped onions and stir fry till they change the color.
4. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute and add chopped tomatoes to it. Stir fry till the tomatoes cook properly.
5. Add 2 tbsp of water and add turmeric, chilli and garam masala powder, then add subzi masala and stir for a minute or two. Add salt and sugar, and stir fry till the oil separates from the masala.
6. Now, add the fried cauliflower and potatoes, and stir fry for a minute or two and then cover your pan with a lid for a minute or two. Then, remove the lid, add one cup of water and let the cauliflower and potatoes cook with the lid on, till they are tender - at this point, the water would have evaporated from the subzi and the cauliflower and potatoes should be tender. What you get is a dry subzi.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves.
8. Your tasty Cauliflower Potato Subzi is ready.
Next, I'm going to tell you a variation to the Cauliflower subzi and its by using green peas.
For this recipe, boil the green peas in 1 cup of water for 10 minutes and drain the water. Now, add these green peas along with the potato and cauliflower (in Step 6 of Instructions above), along with 1/4 tsp of Kashmiri chilli powder and follow the rest of the Instruction from above, and that's it.
Your Cauliflower, Potato and Peas Subzi is ready.
Cauliflowers are so easy to like and I have always loved this vegetable and having it with potatoes and/or green peas is definitely a treat. And once you have your ingredients, you can make this quite easily and it comes out so good. This is served with any type of rice and roti/paratha.
So, go ahead and try this out and I know you'll love it.