Cauliflower Mac ’n Cheese (Sans Pasta)
Cauliflower Replaces Pasta
Whether you are easing into a low carb diet or jumping in full-fledged, ready to fly, this faux mac ‘n cheese recipe is a great addition to your new meal plan. Easy to put together, there’s time to cook up a side of fresh green beans while it bakes. Voila, you have good food that is good for you.
Once you taste this cauliflower recipe your estimation of a humble vegetable will take a jump even if you already like to eat it. Seasonings fill the kitchen with the aroma of yummy smoked/grilled foods, making it a special meal for guests to walk in on.
Keeping riced cauliflower and ground flax seed in my freezer as well as having the seasonings on hand made my experiment with these ingredients super fast. I avoid cow milk products, substituting goat’s milk products for them, but have found that I can once in while use the harder cheeses in recipes. Depending on how I’m feeling or who else I’m feeding I might use all goat’s milk cheese in this recipe to make it cow milk free at times.
- 3 tablespoons flax seed, ground
- 1 1/8 cups almond milk, or bone broth
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon onion, dried flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3-4 ounces goat cheese, chunks
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic, powder
- 3 cups cauliflower, frozen riced
- 1 teaspoon hamburger seasoning, to your taste
- 1 tablespoon Colgin's liquid smoke, your favorite flavor
Assembling Cauliflower Casserole
- Prepare baking dish with cooking spray or coat with olive oil.
- Begin preheating oven to 400º.
- Mix egg in a small bowl with the almond milk (or bone broth), onion, salt, and turmeric, adding ground flax seed to soak and thicken while preparing the rest of the recipe, stirring mixture once or twice in the process.
- Using a fork stir the goat cheese, parmesan, oregano, and garlic into a separate small bowl to make a dry, crumbly mixture.
- In the baking dish layer the flax mixture and the cheese mixture between riced cauliflower (each layer sprinkled with burger seasoning mix to your taste), reserving about 1/8 cup of each mixture for the topping.
- Sprinkle Colgin’s liquid smoke over the last layer to taste (we like about 1 generous tablespoon), finally adding the last of the cheese mixture, then the flax mixture with about 1/8 cup almond milk (or bone broth) mixed in to thin it.
- Cover dish and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover dish and bake for another 15 minutes, or until bubbly and browned to your liking.
- *Side note: If your various seasoning mixtures contain salt you may want to eliminate the 1/8 teaspoon salt from the ingredients list.
Please Rate This Cauliflower Recipe
After baking this up and enjoying the low-carb meal with my husband we decided that next time the almond milk could be replaced with bone broth. Obviously, meat proteins could be added for an even heartier and more flavorful dish. Sautéed mushrooms along with other veggies would add another substantial layer of yumminess to this casserole.
As for more side dishes, coleslaw came to mind, as well as other salads. Roasted asparagus would be a favorite for us. The following list has some great no/low-carb bread recipes for any dieters who want to round out this meal. Many grain-free breads can be baked and frozen ahead of time for quicker meals but some of these are ready fast and yummiest fresh.
• Super Fast 4 Ingredient Low-Carb Bread: Look out breakfast!
• Easy Keto Bread: Learn Keto bread fast!
• Nicely Textured Almond Flour Bread: Lovely homemade bread!
• Tasty Low-Carb Yeast Bread: Taste it up!
Adding Carbs (If You Must)
My husband thinks it would be great with a pie crust, as in chicken pot pie and he also had a crunchy crouton topping in mind but those ides do not fit our new way of eating. As it is, he said the best thing he like about it was that there was a half dish of leftovers waiting on him.
Other ways to ramp it up may come to you. Adding your ideas to comments below would greatly appreciated! Thanks for checking out this cheesy low-carb, fake macaroni and cheese casserole.