Celery Root Salad - What To Do With Celery Root
Rate My Recipe
Celery Root Salad Recipe
Celery root salad is a delicious very easy to make salad, very healthy, and a great accompaniment to meat and fish dishes. Celery root contains a lot of minerals essential for our health, and in the Eastern Europe, celery root is known for a long time as a nature's miracle for attracting women, and improving sexual performance. This is actually backed by science, because celery contains androstenone and androstenol two pheromones that will make a man more attractive to the opposite sex.
What is your favorite part of the celery?
- 1-2 Celery root, firm, small or medium
- Wine vinegar, white wine vinegar
- Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. Poppy seeds
- Mayonnaise, optional
Celery Root Salad Instructions
- Prepare a vinaigrette from the lemon juice, the vinegar, and the salt.
- Peel the celery root using a knife and a potato peeler.
- Cut the root in two halves, and the shred it on a mandolin shredder.
- Add the vinaigrette as you shred, so the celery doesn't change color.
- Put it in the fridge and let the salad soak in for 30 minutes or more.
- In the mean time toast the poppy seeds in a frying pan. Use a low temperature so you don't burn them. When the poppy seeds start to smoke they are almost done.
- Drain the salad of the excess of vinaigrette, and add the toast poppy seeds.
- Optionally, add mayonnaise and toss.
- Keep refrigerated until served.
Celery Root Salad Picture
Tips for Making Celery Root Salad
When you buy the ingredients, look for firm roots, selecting the heavy ones, and avoiding the ones with soft spots.
One of the tricks of preparing celery salad is the use mandolin shredder and not a food processor. When you use a food processor the celery will be uneven, and will lose firmness.
Prepare the vinaigrette by mixing equal parts of lemon and wine vinegar and salt. While shredding the celery add the vinaigrette little at a time, over the new shredded celery, so that it doesn't oxidize, and changes the color. If the color is important for you, make sure you use white vinegar.
Let the celery soak into the vinaigrette for an 30 minutes or more if you want to add mayonnaise. I usually don't add mayonnaise because we want to keep it healthy, but once in a while, I enjoy the mayonnaise variation. When I add mayonnaise, I always remove the vinaigrette excess, so it doesn't make the mayo too liquid.
A great variation is tho chop a few walnuts, this gives it more savor, and makes it more nutritious. You can try with other nuts too, I love it with peanuts as well.