Charred Orange-Glazed Chicken-Recipe
A Fantastic Dish!
I know what you are thinking, a vegetarian, posting a recipe for a dish she has never eaten. Crazy right?! Wrong! Though I may not have actually eaten this chicken I can tell you it is a FANTASTIC dish. I have yet to have a single complaint and the orange glaze is very delicious even on something as simple as rice. This chicken will really jazz up your dinner with a slight spicy kick and wonderful orange flavor. The smell alone will have you salivating. So break out your broiling pans or even heat up your grills because this chicken is to die for!
This is What You Need!
- 4-8 Chicken Breasts- Don't limit yourself here, this glaze goes well over thighs, legs and chicken tenders!
- 2/3 cup mesquite or hickory flavored BBQ sauce (if you don't have this, a regular BBQ sauce with a dash of the hickory smoked flavor works as well... they actually make it... it is a good addition to any pantry)
- 1/4 cup apricot fruit spread **Diabetic? Use sugar free or low sugar options!
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (Fresh squeezed or store bought is fine)
- 1tablespoon grated orange peel/zest (For a little extra kick? add a bit more!)
- 1tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Here is the fun part! Cook your chicken. You can grill or oven bake. Whichever you choose. If you are working on a grill, for the next application you will need tinfoil.
Cover your chicken with your mixture. reserve some of your glaze. Broil 1 minute on one side, turn, glaze and broil on the other. After you remove your chicken from the broiler drizzle with a little more of your glaze and serve.
I like to serve this over a good helping of brown rice with a side of some of my favorite veggies. This glaze works wonderfully over just rice no chicken needed, or you can even top your favorite vegan chicken with the mixture. This is surely going to be a crowd pleaser!