- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Cheap & Easy Chunky Chocolate Bars
Nothing but Good Stuff
These chunky chocolate snacks are the absolute be all and end all of homemade chocolate snacks. They're tasty, easy to make, and quick. You're basically done within 30 minutes, not counting the time the chocolate needs to cool. The recipe requires ingredients most of us already have sitting in our kitchen cupboards anyway, and it can be varied and adapted in about a million ways. It's so simple that when I first heard of it I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of it before. The best part is that they're just as good to munch on by yourself as with others. They make a great treat to serve up with tea or coffee. Last but not least: they're quite filling, so one batch will probably last you while!
- Use trail mix instead of the hazelnuts, almonds, and raisins.
- If Cruesli is not available to you, use granola or Cornflakes instead.
- Choose milk chocolate or white chocolate if that tickles your fancy more!
- ½ cup unsalted hazelnuts
- ½ cup unsalted almonds
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup Cruesli, (a kind of chunky granola made by Quaker)
- 300 grams dark chocolate, in chunks
- Melt the chocolate au bain-marie. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a baking dish of about 7" x 11" with parchment paper. Mix the unsalted nuts, raisins, and cruesli, then pour them into the baking dish. Spread them a bit to get one layer of the mix, but make sure there are no big gaps in the layer.
- Pour the molten chocolate over the nut mix. Cover each bit. Let cool for about 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate for another 30 minutes so the chocolate can harden.
- Take out of the fridge, break into chunks, and voilà, you have yourself a custom made chocolate treat (plus a supply that will probably last you a week or more).